Rabbit being aggresive - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Rabbit being aggresive

We got my daughter a white ruby eyed Netherland Dwarf which we named Ruby a few weeks ago. She is very calm when you hold her. However in the past two weeks she started grunting when you put your hand near hear hiding box. So I thought that maybe I needed to put a new one in without a bottom so we could remove it if needed easier. However since I switched boxes she seems to be becoming protective over her entire cage. She grunts and lunges at you hitting with her front paws. I tell her no and try not to let her think it is ok. She is also starting to do this when I put hay or pellets in for her. Was changing her box a bad idea and what do I do to break her of this before she gets to old she is about 3 months right now and I do plan on getting her spayed when old enough. Please any help would be appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

What you described sounds like cage aggression to me - it's very common in unspayed females. There's usually not much you can do other then wait till she's old enough and get her spayed, it will reduce her hormone levels and should make her less aggressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

My advice in the nipping thread might also apply here:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/n...ing-47823.html

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Good luck with her.

How big is her cage? I always wondered if you gave the bunny more room if they would be less cage aggressive. I am not sure. Maybe others could weigh in on that.
I know that none of my buns are aggressive when I change their litter boxes or food. They have a lot of room, entire bedrooms. I often wondered if when you put your hands in a buns cage they feel like you are going after them. If they had a way to really get away maybe they would.
And definitely get her spayed as soon as you can. Buns get very grouchy when those hormones kick in. My buns only occasionally grunt and stomp at me. But I probably deserve it.
Hang in there with her. Trust me buns are worth the effort!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Last edited by kathydip; 04-29-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thank you for your responses she is currently in a 40x19 cage. However, I have been reading about the NIC cubes and am planning on getting some and expanding off of her current cage hope it works the way I am thinking and also hope to see if it cuts down on her aggression.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Hi i have a netherland dwarf and i think they are prone to a bit of agression coz my boy has always been such a sweetie until he hit maturity and then he became very agresive and was nipping and growling etc. I have had him neutered and it has calmed him down a lot thank god so maybe try getting her spayed? Good Luck!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Part of the Pack

Our female started getting annoyed with us cleaning her cage at about 7 months...she would spray urine though. We had to wait until she came out of the cage on her own before we could begin cleaning her cage. Once she was spayed she will allow us to do anything in there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think the size of the cage usually effects if they are cage aggressive or not, but it's still worth a try.

Rabbits view their cages as their own little space. They sometimes don't like when we mess around with their stuff. I guess you could picture it like, if you were just hanging out in your room and all of a sudden a gaint arm came in the window and started touching all your stuff and moving all your stuff around.

You can let her out of the cage, and wait until she's out before you clean or move around things in her cage until you get her spayed. Spaying her will reduce the hormones and hopefully the aggression.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks....LOL had to giggle imagining a big hand coming in the window yeah would get upset myself if that happened. But she is real happy when she is out and am looking forward to making a bigger cage if for no other reason then to make her a little happier. She was doing binkies last night and would flop down and roll on her back think she is starting to come out of her shell alittle. She is about 4 months now and am looking forward to a long life with her.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

She sounds cute! I'm sure she'll love a bigger cage either way

I just love when my bunnies binky. I can never help but smile when they do it, even when I'm having a bad day. It sounds like Ruby is enjoying her new home. Try not to worry to much about the cage aggression, it should get better once she's older and you can get her spayed.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 PM

i think shes just trying to tell you to keep off her stuff LOL
my rabbits will let me clean their hutch without any probs they even hop around me for cuddles while i'm doing it but once i,ve finished cleaning it and refilin thier bowls pumpkin goes in and trashes the place and it drives me nuts cos i make sure its lovely for her (even i'd get in if i could fit hahahah) she'll shred the newspaper and throw it everywhere, pull all the hay out of the trough and almost empty her food bowl, i just don't get it she knows i'm making it nice and clean for her so whats the fuss i even gave it a coat of stain last week and she scratched it all hahaha peanut just watches pumpkin while she having her tikky fit suppose he thinks rather the hutch than him LOL

Tags
food bowl, litter box, litter boxes, netherland dwarf