Rabbit breed abbreviations - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rabbit breed abbreviations

These are abbreviations for the various breeds. The two letter ones are the standard abbreviation used my the American Rabbit Breeders Association. All others are abbreviations used by breeders/owners of the breed, but are not official.

American: AM
American Fuzzy Lop: AF, Fuzzy Lop
American Sable: AS, Sable
English Angora: EA
French Angora: FA
Giant Angora: GA
Satin Angora: SA
Belgian Hare: BH, Hare, Belgian
Beveren: BV
Britannia Petite: BP, Petite, Brit, Britannia
Californian: CA, Cal, Cali
Champagne D'Argent: CD, Champagne, Champ
Checkered Giant: CG, Checker
American Chinchilla: AC, American Chin
Giant Chinchilla: GC, Giant Chin
Standard Chinchilla: SC, Standard Chin
Cinnamon: CN
Creme D'Argent: CR, Creme
Dutch: DT
Dwarf Hotot: DH ('Hotot' is sometimes incorrectly used, as there is a breed called 'Hotot')

English Spot: ES, Spot
Flemish Giant: FG, Flemish
Florida White: FW, Florida, White
Harlequin: HR, Harli, Harlie, Harly
Havana: HV
Himalayan: HM, Himi, Himmie
Holland Lop: HL, Holland
Hotot: HT
Jersey Wooly: JW, Jersey, Wooly
Lilac: LC
Lionhead: LH, Lion
English Lop: EL, English
French Lop: FL, Frenchie
Mini Lop: ML
Mini Rex: MR
Netherland Dwarf: ND, Netherland, N. Dwarf, Dwarf, Nethie
New Zealand: NZ (NZW is short for New Zealand White, the most common color in the breed)

Palomino: PL, Pal
Polish: P
Rex: RX
Rhinelander: R, Rhine
Satin: ST
Silver: S
Silver Fox: SF, Fox
Silver Marten: SM, MArten
Tan: T
Velveteen Lop: VL, Velveteen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wow, you know a lot about rabbit breeds! I was wondering if I could ask you a question? I'm sure my girl bun Sonora is a mixed bunny, but I was wondering about the breeds that she has in her. Can you tell from these pics? She weighs about 3 1/2 lbs, is very small boned and petite, and is a little fiesty. So I was thinking that she probably has some Netherland Dwarf or Brittania Petite in her? What do you think?

I think she was about 2-3 months here. (The fork is for scale)

These are the only good pics I have of her right now. Its hard because she's a quick one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Actually looks like a netherland dwarf and possibly mini rex cross. One of the parents was some sort of agouti colour (chestnut, opal, lynx, chocolate agouti) and the other was harlequin or tricolor (like a calico). I can tell that because she is a harlequin-marked chestnut. That happens when you get a chestnut that carries the harlequin gene. That colour also lends me to believe that mini rex might have been one of the parents because not many small breeds have harlequin or tricolor in abundance, but it is pretty common in mini rex. In 12 of showing nationally years, I have seen harlequin/tricolour from only one breeder in netherland dwarfs, so the chances of the netherland dwarf parent having produce the harlequin pattern in your rabbit are slim to none.

The ears look like mini rex ears, too.

When her fur is in good shape (not dead or ready to shed out) and you pet her backwards, does the fur snap back into position or roll back more slowly into place?

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for replying. Hmmm...I guess her fur kind of rolls. It rolls pretty quickly (doesn't stick up afterwards), but I don't think it snaps back. Her fur is definitely not like Rex fur. So could she be a dwarf/mini-rex mix and not have rex fur?
I found some more pics of her. They aren't the best quality but I thought they might help.

Another "baby pic." We weren't sure how old she was when I got her, but the Rescue people thought she was about 2 months.

Top view taken the same day.

A more recent pic.

I figured she was a dwarf mix because she stayed small and can be fiesty/bratty at times. She is very high energy. She is also very sweet though, like my mini-rex Rusty. So if she's mixed with a mini-rex, that would explain her personality.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

One last pic of her laying against Mojave.

Thanks for your help!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, rex crosses usually do not have rex fur. The rex fur is a recessive trait to regular fur, so if you breed a rex furred rabbit to a normal furred rabbit, you will get normal furred babies unless the normal furred parent just happens to be carrying (hiding) the rex fur gene.

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

I find it interesting that you consider Mini Rex to have rex fur. I was talking to some Rex breeders and doing some reading up on the fur qualities and there is actually a difference between rex fur and mini rex fur... Though I suppose for pet purposes it really doesn't matter.

I do agree that the ears are definitely mini rex looking. I have to say that I love the colouring of Sonora! She is absolutely gorgeous

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The basic genetics (the gene that causes the coat) are the same. Also, it depends on what area you are in. In some areas, there is a definite difference in the fur of the two breeds. In some areas, mini rex fur is much more slick. However, in other areas, the fur is thick, plush, and has a "drag" to it where it sort of catches your hand when you pet the rabbit backward. That is the same as a good rex coat. The differences in the coat are just a matter of "sub-genes" called "polygenes" or "modifier genes" that make smaller alterations to the basic genetic makeup of the rabbit. Rex fur is just a catagory of fur meaning the rabbit has the rex fur gene. It is just like saying all long-haired breeds have wool, even though each breed has a different texture, minimum length, etc. of wool.

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetrabbit
I do agree that the ears are definitely mini rex looking. I have to say that I love the colouring of Sonora! She is absolutely gorgeous
Thanks!

Miyabita, thanks for the help!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Not a problem! Always willing to help, especially when it comes to rabbits! I could talk about rabbits all day. In fact, half the time I have to make myself go back to getting websites for my clients done because if I am not careful, I will get swept up in chatting about rabbits. LOL.

Miyabita Designs

Usagi no Tsukiyo

Tags
flemish giant, holland lop, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf