Rabbit Breeds by Size - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Rabbit Breeds by Size

Rabbit Breeds

There are a wide variety of rabbits listed on Rabbit Rehome, all different sizes, shapes, and colours. Many aren't pedigree rabbits belonging to a particular breed. All the bunny's on Rabbit Rehome have one thing in common, they are all looking for a loving home.

Here are some basic descriptions of different breeds, remember however, all rabbits are individuals and wouldn't necessarily match these descriptions exactly.

The illustrations below are some of the rabbits that are/have been listed on Rabbit Rehome as you can see there are many different types of rabbit that end up in rescue centres.

Note: A lop is a rabbit who has droopy ears. Instead of sticking upwards in the traditional rabbit way their ears hang down the side of the head.

Small Rabbit Breeds

Small rabbits are generaly considered to be under 2.5kg when they are full grown. Just because a rabbit is small does not mean that it will fit better in to a small hutch. Small bunny's still need plenty of space to live. If your bunny's going to be a house bunny, you'll need to be extra careful about spotting the places they could squeeze into to find something chewable.

Small breeds include:

Netherland Dwarf - These are one of the smallest breeds of rabbits usually weighing just over 1kg. They can be lots of different colours and have short upright ears.

Lion Head - These are a newer breed of rabbit, they have a long (approx. 3inch) manes around their face and rest of their hair is short. Their mane needs regular brushing to prevent matts. Caring for Long Haired Rabbit Breeds

Mini Lop - They weigh 1.5-2kg

Dwarf Lop - These weigh 2-2.5kg, and have ears that come to just below the chin.

Dutch - These are quite a popular breed of bunny, also fairly small weighing 2-2.5kg. They are white across the shoulders and have a white blaze (stripe) down their nose with colour from the waist down, around the eyes and upright coloured ears.

Medium Rabbit Breeds

Medium rabbits are generally between 2.5kg and 4kg.

Breeds include:

English - Weight 2.5-3.5kg. These bunnies have very unusual markings, a thick stripe down the spine, coloured ears and nose and spots across the flanks. They can be several different colours though black is the most common.

Angora - Long fluffy coats and will need regular grooming to stop tangles. They can look more like fluffy toys then bunny's! Angoras can range in size from 2-4kg. Caring for Long Haired Rabbit Breeds

Belgium Hare - Belgium hares have long upright ears and long slender body/legs, they look like a hare though they are really rabbits! They weigh 3.5-4kg.

Rex - Rex Rabbits have very dense fur, it looks like they have a velvet coat. They weigh 2.5-3kg.
Large Rabbit Breeds

Large rabbits weight approximately 4-5kg. You will need to be particularly careful that accomodation is big enough. Commercial hutches/runs can often have too low roofs, rabbits need to be able to stand on the back legs without banging their nose on the roof. Caring for Large/Giant Rabbit Breeds

New Zealand - : This breed usually comes in white, but can also be other colours. They weigh 4-5.5kg.

English Lop - These bunny's have very very long ears (over 20inches), which hang below the head and can drag on the floor. They weigh approximately 4.kg+

French Lop French Lops are very similar to English Lop's accept with much shorter ears. They weigh 4.5kg+

Giant Rabbit Breeds

Giant rabbits weigh at least 5kg and they can weigh 10kg! This is larger than the average domestic cat, the same as a small dog such as a Jack Russell. Due to their size they need very large accommodation so are often kept as house bunny's. Caring for Large/Giant Rabbit Breeds

British Giant - A very breed of bunny weighing 5-6Kg+ with upright ears

Flemish Giant - Again this a big rabbit! They weigh 5kg+. They have long upright ears.

Weight Conversion - There are 0.454kg to 1lb and 1kg = 2.205lbs.

Source

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:49 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Is that from England by any chance? Some of the weights I believe are slightly different from rabbits here, because their rabbit breeder association and ours has slightly different standards that they breed for.

See over there a Mini Lop is smaller than a Dwarf Lop. Here we have a Mini Lop and a Holland Lop. The Mini Lop is bigger than the Holland Lop.

Very confusing LOL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Yes, it is. Thanks for pointing out the differences, off to find a better site.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i've been wondering if anyone has a picture of a human holding a Flemish Giant. i want to get an idea of how big they are compared to humans. thanks!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:26 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane let me look for the site that Darren and I came across a few weeks ago, the lady wasn't holding a flemish giant but she was standing by it with her hand over top and let me tell you this bun was HUGE!!
The 2 buns we got from the Italian that works with Darren (the one that raises them for food), said that the buns were 1/2 mutt and 1/2 californian. The buns he raises are quite large, and Honey and Lilly are already almost 5 pounds if not over by now and they are just reaching 4 months of age...... eek lol .....

This is a great site for rabbit breeds and size as well
http://rabbitinfocenter.8m.com/rabbitbreeds.html

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 11-05-2004 at 03:30 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane I didn't save the site like I thought I did.....but I did find this site http://www.greatbigbunnies.com/ scroll down and view the photo's on the right of the screen, the one towards the bottom is a girl holding a flemish giant at 3 months of age.......WOW!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Wow!!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg kim, they are so big! thank you!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

your welcome

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I saw one when I picked up Rusty. She was HUGE! More like a dog than a rabbit lol. I think it would be cool to have one if you have a lot of room, which I don't.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Newborn Pup

Thanks.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Huge and impressive bunnies..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
flemish giant, holland lop, jack russell, mini lop, netherland dwarf