rabbit cage size - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

rabbit cage size

what size cage can i use for a rabbit. she is pretty small. i think she weights about 3 lbs or so. i would like it to last her a couple of years. also, what are some cage nessesities?
-water bottle (are any bowls acceptable)
-feed dish
-hay feeder
-some toys

is that all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:10 PM

First of all, when determining what size cage to get, you should ask yourself, will she be spending the majority of her time in the cage? or the majority of her time out and about the house with you when you're home??

If she's going to have to stay in the cage most of the time, then you should get something that's quite big. Alot of rabbit owners find that the Cubes and Coroplast (C&C) cages that are used for guinea pigs are the best, because you can make them as big as you like.

If she's going to be a house rabbit with free range while you're at home, then you should have a cage that is a minimum size of 2 square feet per pound that she weighs. Thus, a 2' by 3' cage would probably be best.

It's been my experience that water bowls (unless the kind that can be attached to the cage), are easily tipped over, and most people will agree that rabbits shouldn't get wet. They are very susceptible to respriatory illnesses like Pasturella. Thus, if they get wet, and don't dry quickly enough or properly, they can get quite sick.

It's easier to monitor how much water your rabbit is drinking when they're drinking from a bottle. One of the first signs that a rabbit is sick will be the amount of water or food they are drinking and eating (or more importantly, not eating). Rabbits will stop eating or drinking when things go wrong.

I can't think of anything else that is a necessity for a rabbit's cage. Unless you're thinking of litter box training her, in which case you will want that in there, and you'll want to make sure that there's enough space in the cage for that, too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:05 PM

Litterbox training is great for bunnies! When I had rabbits, I built them a large C&C cage and put their litterboxes in the corner filled with kiln-dried pine shavings. They would only pee in their boxes and it made clean up a cinch!

For hay, you could use a large terra cotta flower pot on its side. Just avoid the wire hay mangers like this: http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-678351...21_1848_150335

Those are dangerous and can bunnies can injure themselves by poking out an eye or breaking a leg or foot.

For toys, they love being able to toss things and be sure to provide lots of chew toys for grinding down those teeth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:52 PM

I've never had a problem with those hay racks. They're the only ones I have every used. www.rabbit.org is a great site for rabbit information. A good rule of thumb for cage size is one square foot per pound of bunny, that being the bare minimum. Good luck!

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, dried pine, dried pine shavings, guinea pig, hay rack, house rabbit, litter box, litter box training, pine shavings, water bowl