rabbit enclosure - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

rabbit enclosure

I've been looking at many homes for rabbits, and when i went to a pet store the other day,
i not only feel in love with the rabbits, but i liked the area they were kept in, similar to this:

i would not be putting in two bigger rabbits like those, just a dwarf, by itself.
i was wondering if anyone owns --or has owned-- a display similar to this,
and how expensive it would generally be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello Earthling

I would not personally keep a rabbit in an enclosure like that. Those enclosures are mainly to A) keep little fingers out and B) to keep bedding in. Plus they would most likely be outrageously expensive when you could make out own, bigger enclosue for much less.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

It does look cool, but like Canadiancritter said you could make a bigger one for much less. Or even buy a hutch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
is a little "special"

Same as they said. But I should add that the ventalation probably isnt very good in those either.
And you want your cage to have a door, so your bunny can go back in it if he wants during his floor time.
Do you know how to built a NIC cage? I think that would be the best option if you want a cheap large cage, or get an X-pen, or something similar. If you bun will have free range, just a large pet store cage would work too.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Betta Bomb

Bunny pee is ferociously strong if not kept in a well ventilated corner, in that plastic enclosure I would not keep then in there for long. I smelled them in the old petstore and once bunneh pees the ammonia lingers.
It looks cute now, but opt for an open enclosure. I built mine out of NIC cubes or whatever WalMart sells in the laundry section.And then you have 1.Tonnes of building options to suit any room, and 2.Extra money left over b/c theyre so ridiculosly cheap compared to cages to buy treats ^.^
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

The 1st thing I thought of is poor ventilation (although I agree its a cool looking cage!)

For the NIC cages, look closely at the grids. The ones I bought at Target had 2 sizes & my little guys would have been able to slip thru the ones with larger openings.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

Rabbits attracting mice?

oops. posted in the wrong place.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

You could probably make a C&C cage for rabbits and those are so cheap!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Playful Pup

I agree, it doesn't look like the ventilation would be good. We have a large cage that has legs and wheels on the bottom and stands approx 20" off the floor. My husband built a ramp that rests on the side gate and she comes and goes when she wants too.

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy