Rabbit food/care qestions
I feel it imperative that I educate myself on the living things in my home, so I am going to ask some questions.
1. What pellet food is good? which is bad?
2. I am currently feeding a pellet food in addition to Timothy hay, romaine, spinach, kale and also giving them a carrot and some apple.
They have wood (from the pet store) and their mineral lick.
Is there something else they need in their diet to be healthier?
3. They are fully litter trained and stay in their cage during the day,
Currently we have the bottom of their cage lined with regular newspaper (which they have fun playing with) and they have yesterdays news in their litter pan.... is this ok or is there something better I should be using/doing?
4. One of my dogs is wanting to make friend with them (he cries at the side of their cage wanting to interact with them) .... how do you recommend introducing rabbits to dogs?
5. How interactive are rabbits? will they eventually recognize us and get excited to see us? Can you teach rabbits tricks?
6. What kind of toys do you recommend and do rabbits play with toys like dogs do?
7. How often should they go to the vet? They saw the vet last month.
8. Any other information/tips would also be helpful.
Now some information on them:
They are a Neutered/Spayed bonded pair ... they are both 2.5 one is a Dutch and the other is a Dwarf ... they are friendly, but are not yet running up to us to be petted (they don't run away from us though). We adopted them through our local humane society this weekend (fully litter trained).
They belong to my husband and my kids (who are responsible for their care). I am a dog person, but could perhaps become a rabbit person... I am impressed that they are litter trained.
I will try to get some pics of them when they have their playtime out of the cage later today.