rabbit leads/harness - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

rabbit leads/harness

i would love to take my rabbit into the back yard. its not fenced in, and not safe for my rabbit to rome in. i have put her playpen out there before but she wanted out to explore soo bad. i wonder how it would be if i got a harness/lead for her. i know them make them for rabbits. if she would tollerate the lead around her i think she would enjoy it.
are these leads safe? anyone here tried them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

It's a recipe for disaster. I got Harry used to being harnessed and got him to walk with it on, but when I took him on my back porch, he managed to slip out of it somehow. I'm so glad it was on my porch, not the yard. Rabbits are too slender and flexible for harnesses, but that's just my opinion.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you do get a harness and leash, I'd just be very careful since your yard isn't fenced in. I'd try it first inside and in her pen to make sure it's on properly. I also think it depends on the rabbit. I used to let Puchiko go outside on a leash but she was a calm, obedient rabbit. I would never let Stash go outside on a lead because I know he'd probably get out of it and run off.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

I know some people that have tried it with success and other's not. If you are going to try it, you must do it round the house first. Just let her try it on for a short period a number of times and if she seems comfortable let her wear it when she is out for indoor play. When she is used to that, you can hold on to the leash indoors and see whether she is ok with it or whether she trys to get out of it. If you spend time indoors doing this first, she will be more used to it and you will get an idea of whether it would be a good idea to take her out or not.

If you are taking her in and out though also make sure there is not too much of a difference in temperature. Over 20 degrees difference can be harmful.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I havent had much luck with the harnesses, and also like Natalie I think that buns are too slender for them.. Tell us what you decide to do..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

im not doing it. too risky

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Newborn Pup

I got a harness and leash for Oreo about a year ago so that we could take hime for walks and stuff! At first we just put the harness on him and let him run around the house with it on until he got used to it. He still isn't keen on us putting it on him, but when he's got it on he seems ok. He does have the tendency to explore new places though, so it's difficult to take him anywhere with the lead on!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I used cat harnesses on my rabbits before with no problem. I have seen the rabbit harnesses in the store, but I haven't tried them. What kind of harnesses did you try?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

you can buy a dog playpen for $50.00 and up...this way they can get in the grass...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Newborn Pup

i had a rabbit harness. Not sure of the brand but it just looks like a standard harness, like you get for cat's and small dogs. I've put a picture of Oreo wearing it, although he doesn't like the leash in this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Rabbit, Skiing & House 072.jpg (55.2 KB, 12 views)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM
nikky

all four of my bunnys have them and i take them out the back yard and wonder. The only time one of my bunnys slipped out was when he was a baby and i put it on a little loose. I think that they are great because even though i dont have a secure fence for them they still get there daily run out side and and the most important fresh air. they love them as soon as they hear the little bells on the harness they all come running because they know there going out side.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:56 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I would never use a harness or lead outside. They can slip it sometimes, or even chew the harness and get out of it that way.

Those things can be used in a safe confined area; I used to use one around the house so Poppy would not just disappear into a new hiding place! It was helpful, for short periods.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikky
all four of my bunnys have them and i take them out the back yard and wonder. The only time one of my bunnys slipped out was when he was a baby and i put it on a little loose. I think that they are great because even though i dont have a secure fence for them they still get there daily run out side and and the most important fresh air. they love them as soon as they hear the little bells on the harness they all come running because they know there going out side.
So long as your back yard is secured and fenced in. Maybe I need to put the lead on tighter.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
nikky

zouave that would not wanna be a cop out this is a site for freedom of speach i have my opinion you have yours.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i am not going to use one.
i really dont have a need to.
but the rabbit is NEVER outside. i wonder how important outside time is!?
its just not safe, we dont have a fenced in yard, and the nieghbors dogs come into the yard.
plus we used pestisides (not my choice)

Tags
animal planet