Rabbit Mixes - Any Good? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

>> I give mine a rabbit mix <<

Which one??

BTW, I was using Timothy hay based pellets, mostly. Just wondered if anything as better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
BTW, I was using Timothy hay based pellets, mostly. Just wondered if anything as better.
Timothy based pellets are the best since they contain more fiber. The more fiber the better for the bunny. Only Oxbow got the highest fiber %
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:
>> I give mine a rabbit mix <<

Which one??

Well as I live in the UK, you wont be able to get it! Its a mix my local pet shop do!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Well as I live in the UK, you wont be able to get it! Its a mix my local pet shop do!!!
Just out of curiousity, what is the brand name of those pellets? And what % of Fiber/protein/fat it has? thanks
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Mine get a mix from the local petstore...but it's not filled with corn and bad stuff or anything. Mixed in (and sparingly) are dried carrots, peas, papaya cubes, and hay cubes...with an occasional apple ring or banana chip. The pellets are L'Avian Plus which is the best brand I can get here.

Then of course they get plenty of timothy hay and fresh greens.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

OK then. If I wanted to add some things tasty and healthful to the pellets (not too many). What would be your suggestions? We already have mentioned a few sunflower seeds and "dried carrots, peas, papaya cubes, and hay cubes...with an occasional apple ring or banana chip". A little kernel corn in colder months?

Raisins? Cheerios? Hartz makes a Hamster and Gerbil Puffed Food (roundish green things) my bunny loves as a treat.

Of course this is in addition to fresh veggies and fruits. Keep in mind it is now October, and many of the fresh fruits are soon going to disappear from stands; blueberries are already long gone. So I was interested in dry alternatives.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 AM

that's a good question about whether or not raisins are any good for rabbits. mine LOVE raisins and i'm curious if they can get anything like diabetes form too many of them? i've read on other forums that raisins can cause diabetes in degus and other animals. so i was just wondering if rabbits can have negative effects from raisins too?
also- what's your opinon on peanuts? i know they are fatty- but can the protein hurt a rabbit?
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
OK then. If I wanted to add some things tasty and healthful to the pellets (not too many). What would be your suggestions? We already have mentioned a few sunflower seeds and "dried carrots, peas, papaya cubes, and hay cubes...with an occasional apple ring or banana chip". A little kernel corn in colder months?

Raisins? Cheerios? Hartz makes a Hamster and Gerbil Puffed Food (roundish green things) my bunny loves as a treat.

Of course this is in addition to fresh veggies and fruits. Keep in mind it is now October, and many of the fresh fruits are soon going to disappear from stands; blueberries are already long gone. So I was interested in dry alternatives.
This is only my opinion, but I think that is TOO much treats. Bunnis do not need all that. I know we all want to spoil our "babies" but that will get them sick. Just to give you a idea, hay should be about 3/4 of their diet. Then you can go like 3/4 veggies and 1/4 pellets. The more treats they get, the less of the good stuff they will eat. If you want to give variety in foods, play with different hays (timothy, orchard, oats, mixed) and variety of veggies (dandilions, leafy greens, carrot greens, kale etc). That is better than giving un-necessary treats that will just make your bunny sick sooner or later. Right? Fruits are treats for bunnies....so why not give them fresh small cubes of fruits instead of dried up stuff? You bunny will appreciate that a lot more. Another occasional treat could be Timothy or Alfalfa hay cubes...that is great for their teeth too! Please check out this website: http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/treats.html That will prabably help you out a lot.

Tags
alfalfa hay, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, hay cubes, local pet shop, pet shop, rabbit food, sunflower seeds, timothy hay