Rabbit Mixes - Any Good? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Rabbit Mixes - Any Good?

Just wondering what you think of rabbit mixes such as from Kaytee and LM, the ones with various stuff in them besides pellets, such as sunflower seeds and corn.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Never tried them, but I guess they provide your bunny's tastebuds with more variety than the regular pellets.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

They will dig out all the sunflowers and corn, both of which are fattening, if eaten in excess. They will then continue to dig through the good pellets, looking for more of the treats and waste the pellets.

Far better to get a plain pelleted rabbit food. If you want to give them extra treats, offer them to them by hand or put them in a seperate bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:24 PM

well when i first got my rabbits they refused to eat pellets of any kind! the place i got them from didnt feed them very well and they just didn't seem interested in the pellets at all. so i wound up getting a mix for them with little pieces of corn and other stuff. they absoluetly loved it- but my vet said it was quite unhealthy for them and to get them on a good quality timothy pellet, like oxbow.

i must say i've had the HARDEST time getting my girls to switch foods! they were very angry with me at first and are slowly getting used to the healthy stuff- but its been a really tedious task. so - honestly- i wouldn't even start up with the mix foods because a lot of bunnies- like mine- will become selective eaters and just pick out their favorite stuff- and leave the pellets behind. its like giving a human the choice of junk food or healthy food... a lot of bunnies just want the fun stuff.

plus a healthy timothy pellet can be a good source of fiber that will help a rabbits gi tract moving and cause less blockages. this is what my vet has told me. also-my bunnies were chubbier when they were selectively eating their mix foods. they tend not to over-eat with the pellets, and there is MUCH less wasted food.

of coarse, you might not have this problem with your bunnies. this has just been my experience with the mix foods. hope i've helped a little...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

>> a lot of bunnies- like mine- will become selective eaters and just pick out their favorite stuff- and leave the pellets behind. its like giving a human the choice of junk food or healthy food <<

Yea, that is what I figured. We have a similar problem with hams and gerbs - them picking out the good bits from mixes. So I leave it in there longer; when hungry enough they will eat what they normally don't! (We have to be tough about this and not spoil them!).

I will get pellets, and give other stuff as treats, as I do now.

I just wonder about the sunflower seeds - they eat the shells??
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:17 PM

yes they will actually eat the shells! poor little things can't crack them open with those paws of theirs. mine will actually wait for me to open the seeds up for them and hand feed them the seed part inside. haha- how spoiled!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:19 PM

The rabbits usually pick out the unhealthy bits of the mix and then they won't get the proper nutrition they need. Sticking to pellets and treats is the best solution, IMO.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM

My rabbit used to have those kinds of mixes and when she went to be spayed the vet said she needed to lose some weight, she recommended regular pellets (mine eats Supa Rabbit Exel now) and her weights perfect! yay!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 10:51 AM

The basic rabbit pellet should be given as the main course,anything else should be given as a treat a couple times a week.The reason they put different products in the regular feed is to attract the consumers eye.RE:corn,sunflower,color...Even though your bunny loves these things as you have read they are a sort of junk food.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 05:50 PM

I give mine a rabbit mix and also Supa Rabbit Excel..
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I give mine a rabbit mix and also Supa Rabbit Excel..
Yea, but the topic is "are they good?". Most people have reservations about such mixes.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Considering Steph takes amazing care of her rabbits and only gives them the best of the best to eat and play with...that should answer your question...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:27 AM

I do not like Kaytee and LM, since it doesnt have what a bunny needs. Hope this helps you. If your bunny is 7months+, the best pellets are the Timothy based one. The best one I have found is the Oxbow Timothy based pellet. Those are the pellets with the highest Fiber content (28%). If you cant get that brand, then when you chose, make sure that the Fiber is higher than Protein and that fat content is lower than 3% or 4%. The Oxbow was getting too expensive for me since I have to order, so now my bun is on "Martin" brand for Adult Rabbit. That one is not as good as Oxbow but still Tymothy based, Crude Protein 15%, Crude Fiber 18%-22%, Crude Fat 2.5%.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Considering Steph takes amazing care of her rabbits and only gives them the best of the best to eat and play with...that should answer your question...
Thanks Natalie xxx
I am sorry I should add that some mixes maybe not that good! But I do give mine a mix which I consider very good!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 PM

corn and such arent good for bun's I heard bad things about kaytee rabbit food. Purina green bag and oxbow are good brands.

Tags
alfalfa hay, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, hay cubes, local pet shop, pet shop, rabbit food, sunflower seeds, timothy hay