Rabbit parents? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Rabbit parents?

I know that some people like to be called "rabbit parents," and call their rabbits "children." I have always called my animals "pets" and because I take full responcibility for their life, I call myself their "owner" for lack of a better term. I was just wondering if it makes a big difference to people how they are addressed and what people call their animals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Rodentologist

It's just a personal preference. I don't consider myself the "owner" of my animals, because you "own" property, and I really don't consider a living being property.

I personally refer to my pets as the "kids", because, quite frankly, they do act like kids, and I feel like the parent of eternal 2 year old toddlers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat
I personally refer to my pets as the "kids", because, quite frankly, they do act like kids, and I feel like the parent of eternal 2 year old toddlers.
Exactly!! Especially with buns - the endless curiousity, constant need for interaction, play time, and toys... toddlers is right!!!

My mom considers my buns my kids just because she's finally come to the understanding that they are probably going to be the only grandchildren that she's going to get from me . The buns' pictures sit along side my sisters' little girls' pictures on the mantle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Title Thief Victim

Yea all my pets, no matter what breed are my kids...im there mom.!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am a mom, so I guess I never liked the term "children" or "kids" for my pets because I didn't want to make my children feel like they had to compete with the pets. I think I also always refered to my animals as "pets" to remind myself not to let my need to nurture get in the way of their natural born traites to be the animals they were born to be. My children are all grown up now and I have no grandchildren. Both of my daughters have cats, which I refer to as my "grandcats." I guess I think I need to be wise when it comes to my own pets, but see nothing wrong with spoiling my "grandpets" like most grandparents do.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:39 PM

I class myself as mum to my pets because I care for them but I don't class my pets as kids.
we call my parents and mum in law aunties and uncles.
Is that really sad!!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i guess we are kinda like parents to allie, she was so tiny and helpless when we first got her, she instantly became our baby.
altho i dont like it when david refers to either of our parents as grandma to her, i guess cuz i dont wanna make them feel old

My Furry Family
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Title Thief Victim

Mine are my kids, because i dont want kids soo im sticky with animals. I take care of them, there lives are in my hands so im there gardian/parent

Carissasaurus Rex

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

All of critters are my babies. I am their mom. I know Jay feels that he is their daddy. We always refer to each other that way when it comes to the "kids". Maybe it is because we have no intentions of having 2 legged children. Our parents are the grandparents and we refer to them that way. My sister is their aunt although I don't tend to refer to his sister as aunt. She is not into the 4 legged kids thing. We were just at his parents and she said something that I found a bit offensive. Jay was referring to Frank as our little boy and his sister remarked that if "you don't push it out it's not your kid". As someone that feels if she would ever have a 2 legged kid the kid would most likely be adopted I felt that was a horrible thing to say. Then again I could really go on about some things but maybe I guess that should be in the water cooler section.
I do believe that people need to realize when they take on the responsibilty for these wonderful creatures they need to take that responsibility as seriously as if he/she were a child. It is not right to say it's only an animal and not take proper care of him/her. I don't think everyone realizes what a gift these sweet little angels are. Not anyone at this site. That is what I love about this site everyone knows how wonderful their babies are and are very proud of them.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 AM

I say my Babies, and sometimes my roomates :p
I care for them as their protector and 'mother' them. I call my hubby their Dad I'm their mom, for all our pets.
I still do say pets, but when i greet them i say "how are my babies".