Rabbit Pellet Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Rabbit Pellet Questions

Uhm so long story short I did end up with a foster from a local rescue.
His name is Stanley and he was born June 21st we think.
Hes a little agouti Holland lop.

He gets a daily bowl of romaine lettuce, carrots, celery, little bits of parsley and tiny bits of chopped mint to add smell for the food.
He does get a strawberry every other day too. Im hesitant of feeding him fruits though. His tummy seems sensitive to fruits but not veggies.

His cage is covered in hay, his litter box always has fresh hay in the 'kitchen' end and he has two hay holders.
He also has a much smaller bowl with tiny amount of oxbow pellets in it.

Normally he eats his hay and the bowl of veggies tides him over till the end of the day. He LOVES romaine lettuce and but doesnt like his carrots much.
If its all thats there he'll eat whatever is in the veggie bowl.

Lately however hes been chowing down on his pellets and he doesnt usually touch them. Now hes even ignoring his veggies.
Can I cut the pellets out of his diet completely?

I dont think they are healthy regardless of what their made of and the way Stanley is choosing them over any other food makes me worry of becoming fatter as he gets older. :X
If i ever leave for more than a day or two id leave them in the cage along with hay and bowl of veggies but other than that situation I dont think they are necessary!

And UHM PHOTOS! This is actually a baby photo but its so cute!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
is a little "special"

OMG. That has to be the cutest lil bunny Ive ever seen in my life!! <3 I want.
If you want to completely cut out pellets, I would wait untill he is at least a year old. At his age, buns should have as much alfalfa pellets as they want. I would acually cut down on veggies, and start feeding those more after he hits 6months. You should be feeding him alfalfa hay too untill hes a year old... growing bunnies need high energy food like that to help them grow!
After he is older, it should be fine to cut out pellets completely. Smudge still has pellets, but only 1/8 cup a day so it isnt very much. Rabbits LOVE their pellets, and they make a good "treat" in small amounts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Jess. I would continue offering pellets until he's an adult since he needs the extra nutrients and calories .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Alright then were keeping the pellets and ill go for some alfalfa hay. :>

Oh and today Todd (rescue coordinator) called and asked if id be willing to foster another rabbit to bond with Stanley. I said HELLS YES.
They have quite a few pregnant surrenders but there are two kits right now that havent been gendered yet. If one is a doe then Ill start fostering her when shes old enough and in the mean time Stanley has his neuter appointment. They will be separated until everyone has their surgeries and has had time to heal.
Heres the photos of the little ones:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Omg thoughs bunnys are SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Playful Pup

They are so cute, good luck with them!!

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

HOW PRECIOUS!!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

lol! I double posted, sorry! (edit)

Last edited by bokuza; 08-26-2009 at 01:59 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well we have some good news and bad news!
Both the kits are DOES YEAH! GOOD NEWS!
The tort is named Cricket (OMG CUTE) and the black one lacks a name right now.

Cricket recently has been having issues going potty and is showing failure to thrive though...Her sister is doing fine and is a normal bunny on the bright side! Both are with Mum at the vets for saftey .

PICCY!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

They are so so cute! I want a rabbit now !!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie