rabbit personalities.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

rabbit personalities..

in your opinions...is there a particular rabbit breed that stands out in terms of kindness, longetivity, tameness, or intelligence..or some breeds know for one and other breeds for other characteristics?

whats your fav breed?

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

i love dutches and dutch crosses and that's the kind of bunnies i own now

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:57 PM

I hear a lot of people prefering Dutches (which out of my own experience I can see why). And of course Nethies are wanted for their size and quietness, Rexes for their velvet soft fur and laid back personality, mini lops for the cute smushed-in face... and so on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

are dutches shy? bc a lot of people say that rabbits in general are timid, but can they actually come to you and want your company?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I like Californians because they are so calm and loving...I've never met a mean one. Chinchillas are very outgoing and friendly, too. The lop breeds tend to have good temperments...they were the first breeds that people really started keeping as companions.

As a general rule, larger breeds tend to be calmer. I've found that the breeds used for meat (such as New Zealands) are especially calm. Angoras have awesome temperments...after all, they have to since they need to be groomed so much.

But really, it depends on the individual rabbit. Miniature Rexes are known for their friendliness but there are some that are probably very shy and skittish. At the same time, dwarves are known for being nervous and tempermental but some are extremely sweet and cuddly.

It also depends on whether your rabbit is spayed/neutered. A fixed bunny is a better behaved and friendlier bunny .

And one more thing that many people seem to overlook....it depends on where you get the rabbit. Just like with dogs some rabbit breeds are popular and therefore are bred like crazy...mainly by backyard breeders and rabbit mills. For example, Holland Lops are generally easy-going, happy rabbits. But one from a petstore may be badly bred and un-socialized. If you want a certain breed for certain traits it's best to go to a good breeder.

If all you want is a friendly rabbit then just visit your local shelter and see which bunny you like best .

Oh, and as far as intelligence go Belgian Hares are known for being extremely smart. But they are pretty rare.

Remember that no matter which breed you choose very few bunnies like being picked up. And you can't expect the rabbit to love you right away...you need to earn their trust .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
are dutches shy? bc a lot of people say that rabbits in general are timid, but can they actually come to you and want your company?
well syroo my dutch is always wanting my attention and always loves a cuddle lol he's soo sweet

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

I personally like flemish giants and english lops best! My old friend used to breed mini rex bunnies,and also had a big,squishy english lop who I fell in love with.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I agree with Sasami. Visit your local shelter or rabbit rescue. If you pick an older rabbit who has already been altered and has had time to settle down you will know what the personality of the bunny is. We went to the SPCA but my husband chose the young bunnies. They are now altered and settling down but it's been since mid October. They are not yet cuddly but I can see them moving towards that. I wish it didn't take so long!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

My sister is trying to get a bunny now...she wants a lop.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM

Neither of my Dutch boys are to the least bit shy... or timid for that matter (they aren't even scared of the vacuum).

Sasami is right about Californians. My Creepie is only truly happy when he's sitting in someone's lap.

Luckily, I've had all of my buns since they were fairly young and they're all accustomed to being held - sometimes overly accustomed; they almost expect and beg to be picked up whenever anyone walks by them. But it does depend on each individual bun as to how much they want to be held. All my buns have their main preferences: Charlie and Creepie both like to take naps with me, Daisy likes to watch tv in my lap, and Rocko likes me to walk around while holding him.

Again, bunnies are as different as people. You can't always judge a bun by its breed.

Tags
flemish giant, flemish giants, holland lop, holland lops, local shelter, mini lop, mini lops, mini rex