Rabbit Pregnancy & Breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Rabbit Pregnancy & Breeding

Hello, I have a female (Holland?) or (Mini?) Lop.. not sure. She is about 8 mos old and I am looking to breed her.

My friend and I have been reading up on anything we can find about breeding/pregnancy. We have a few questions..

On one site, it said that the doe may kill or abandon her first litter, using it as a test trial. Is this true in most cases?

How long should we wait before handling the kittens?

Would you recommend breeding?

Please let us know if you have any advice or have found and any good sites or books.

Thank you!

Sara

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't mean to sound rude or anything but if you are wanting to breed then you should really know what you are breeding. Find out whether your rabbit is a mini or a holland lop. It's not going to sound good when she does have her first litter and people ring up and you can't tell them what kind of rabbits they are going to get. There are so many rabbits in rescues these days that if you are breeding then you really need to be breeding for the good of that rabbit breed. There are lots of dodgy breeders out there and if you can't tell people what they are getting exactly then they will put you in that catergory even if you don't belong there. Also are you going to be willing to sell to people that don't care that you don't know what they are breeding? I think most reputable pet owners would be wary.
You should also get your vet to do a full health check on your rabbit. Where did you get your rabbit from? Was it from a reputable breeder that has a good line and you got to see the ancestors as well or did you buy from a pet shop? If you bought from a pet shop then you don't know what genetic problems your buns relatives might have had and again, you risk breeding a bad line.

One last thing....can you make your font bigger...it's really hard to read.

I don't mean to be rude or sound pushy or anything but I only agree with people breeding if they are really serious about it and know everything about the animals they are breeding and their history etc. You should think about it too. Go visit a rabbit rescue or go and have a look at some rabbits with mallocluded teeth etc. and you'll understand what I mean.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

We're not breeding to sell, we're breeding because we want to have baby bunnies. We're not looking for a profit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

By the way, I am 12 years old. I am not trying to be a champion show rabbit breeder, or get into business. I just got my rabbit a few months ago from a pet store. She is absolutely adorable, and my friend is looking to get a rabbit too. We have looked around and are not wanting to pay high prices for top standard breed rabbits. We have spoke with our parents, and we know a lady that lives near us may have a buck. We haven't talked with her yet, so we're not even sure.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

First of all, ask yourself why you want to breed her. Is it just to have cute bunnies running around all over the place? Is it to improve the breed (which is the purpose of most responsible breeders)? Is it to supply your friends and family with pets?

Second of all, where did you get her? Responsible breeding means you don't breed animals that you do not know the genetic history of. Some people think this means sticking to only pedigreed animals, though sometimes you can know the history of an animal and not have a written down record of it.

Third of all, it is not exactly common for first time mothers to abandon their litters. Sometimes, it has to do with the mother not knowing what to do. Sometimes it has to do with the litter being unhealthy. Most animals will reject unhealthy babies, and if there's something wrong with them, that's what will happen with rabbits, too. However, there are ways to intervene if the case is that the mother doesn't know what to do (and I'll talk more about that in a sec).

As far as handling the kits, it totally depends on the mother. If the mother trusts you and is used to your scent, then you should have no problems handling them right from birth. We handle all our babies the moment the mom is out of the nest box. We've never had any problems with the mothers rejecting them after this. It is actually better that you handle them from a young age. It's important to inspect them right after birth to make sure they are healthy and fed within the first 8 hours. If you're concerned that your doe will not like that you've handled her babies, take a drop of vanilla extract and place it on her nose. By the time the smell from the extract wears off, the babies should be smelling "normal" again.

If you really want to breed some rabbits, then you should look into contacting a breeder in your area and seeing if you can arrange something with them. Perhaps they will let you see some new born kits and give you a little more information. Also, as I mentioned before, it's important to know the background of any animals you breed so that you can be certain that you are actually improving the breed, so to speak. No one truly wants an animal that is sickly (given the choice beforehand between a healthy or sick animal) and will pass on the sickness to any offspring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnygal
By the way, I am 12 years old.
Account has been removed due to federal COPPA laws regarding users under the age of 13. Closing this thread as a result.

Stephanie

Closed Thread

Tags
baby bunnies, holland lop, nest box, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, reputable breeder