rabbit problems? is it urgent? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

rabbit problems? is it urgent?

i have woke up the past two mornings to check on ryo (my bun)
and there was a pile of runny poos, its really stinky too. i have talked to other people and they think it could be stress, or a diet change. i have no idea what the previous owner had him on. i just wanted to know what you guys think. he only has runny poos in the morning. he is eating and drinking and playing. he doesnt act sick what so ever. when i reaced in to pick up the runny poos he even did a back kick! he is so playful.
ryo is eating rabbit pellets, and timothy hay. i put hay like you feed horses in his litter box, and he seems to eat alot of that. is that bad? i havent fed him anything other than what i have listed. but what treats could i possilbe feed a 4-5 week old bunny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

A 4-5 week old bunny doesn't need any treats. Why have you got such a young bunny? They should still be with mom at that age. He needs plain rabbit pellets and timothy hay.

The runny poo...is it really runny or is it squishy? Young rabbits will sometimes squish their cecotropes all over the place, instead of eating them.

If it is actual diarrhea you need to get him seen by a vet asap as it can quickly be fatal.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 PM

I agree with Catherine.. If he was mine I would be straight down to the vets ASAP..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 PM

Same here. And at such a young age, he should still be getting alfalfa hay if I am not mistaken.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

i have him this young cuz he is a rescue. i basically saved him from being snake food. and i know nothing about his back ground. his poops are a little squisy, but his poos that he eats... are soft and he squished them all together and doesnt eat them!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

also, his butt has those squished poos on it. i tryed getting it off with a paper towel. no such luck...
how can i get it off? will i possible need to cut his fur that is matted in poo.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:55 PM

This is just how my Harry is. What I do to wipe his bum is get some unscented baby wipes, towel Harry and keep him still between my legs and wipe is bummy. He really doesn't like it but it has to be done.
Since your rabbit is so young, I suggest you take her/him to the vet ASAP just to make sure nothing is wrong. Problems like this in rabbits, specifically babies, can easily be fatal. Keep us updated.

Tags
alfalfa hay, litter box, rabbit pellets, snake food, timothy hay