Rabbit Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Rabbit Questions

First of all, i don't know which gender i would want to get, im sort of leaning towards a male. I've had one before and he was an angel. I've heard that they are less territorial, more friendly, but also pee everywhere. is this true?

Second, I've read in a small animals book, that small breeds of rabbits [like dwarfs] can be housed with a guinea pig. if i were to get two males, should i worry about having them fixed, or will it not affect their personality/attitude towards each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Rodentologist

They will not pee everywhere if they are neutered, but females are also not territorial if spayed. Friendliness is a rabbit-by-rabbit trait, each one is different.

The book is wrong. You should not house rabbits with guinea pigs as it is dangerous to the guinea pigs. Two male rabbits are the hardest to bond. It would be wiser to adopt an already bonded pair of adult, fixed rabbits.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Both genders make great pets as long as they've been spayed or neutered (a rabbit should always be fixed if possible). An un-neutered male is difficult to litter train and prone to marking, yeah, but if you get him fixed that's not as much of a problem . I've personally had a mixture of males and females.

Rabbits shouldn't be housed with guinea pigs as they have different requirements (not only things like diet but also socially). A rabbit can easily hurt a guinea pig, even unintentionally. It's much better to instead house two rabbits together. Mixing species in general usually doesn't work out.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

generally how much does it cost to get a male rabbit neutered?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 PM

depends on where you live. here its about $120

To spay my female it was $180
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie92893 View Post
generally how much does it cost to get a male rabbit neutered?
There's really no average, it depends entirely on where you live. I've seen vets charge from anywhere between $50 and $200+.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
depends on where you live. here its about $120

To spay my female it was $180
I just paid about $85 for a male and I think I was told it will cost about $15 more for my female. My sister was told about $400 for her female!

When you all say "bonding" do you mean the bunnies living peacefully without fighting or actually wanting to be close & groom each other? So far my pair like each other but they are still young.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Rodentologist

Bond meaning live together. Typically young rabbits will be ok until they hit puberty. Once both become hormonal they can start fighting, sometimes quite badly. They'll also then start marking, etc. If both are females, they should be spayed anyway to prevent ovarian cancer.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 AM

Rabbits are pretty common out here...spay and neuter is 75$
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

I didn't care about gender when I got my bunny. He was smaller than his siblings, so I figured he was female for the longest time. I always called him "she" or "her" until the day I got that unexpected surprise that made it obvious he was indeed male!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 PM

I had a great deal of finding a vet who has ever done it. One vet seriously thought that I was joking
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I knew the vet I've always used treated small animals & birds so I was lucky & didn't need to look around. I don't know if there is another one in this area or not. My sister could only find one vet in her area that treats bunnies & she was very expensive...$400 for a spay instead of $95 at my vet.

Turns out I have 2 boys! She/he even fooled the vet until I brought him in to be fixed this morning. I hope they continue to get along as they do now.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Cost deffinatly depends on where you live and the vet. I have been quoted prices from $65 all the way up too $500.

I would honnestly suggest you just go meet the rabbits and pick based on their individual personality. There are some general traits that are assosicated with the diffrent genders but they don't always hold true for every rabbit. I had a male before that was very territorial, and I have a female now that is friendlier than both my males.

If you get two males, you should get them both fixed. I had a hard time bonding two fixed males. Having them unfixed and hormonal would have probably made it 100 X worse if not impossable. Females should be fixed to reduce cancer risks. Actually, I would just say get it/them fixed no matter what gender(s) you get. It has a lot of benefits like better litter box habits, less aggression, and can reduce or eliminate spraying.

If you can, try looking at adult rabbits in shelters. They should come already fixed, which will save you money. Also, if you pick an adult you know more of what you are getting personality wise. Baby bunnies personalities develope as they get older so it's harder to know what they will be like when they are adults.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I had a male bunny when I was maybe 8 years old. I was in France at the time, and he would mark the living room when we took him out. We wanted to get him neutered so he wouldn't do it anymore but at the time (like... 14 years ago!) the vet said that if we didn't have other bunnies it wasn't worth the risk to put him under anesthesia and operate, he said there were too many risks for a bunny.
MY cousin (and neighbor) got a bunny 2 weeks later because she loved mine so much haha she got a male, so we had a playpen set up in her garden, and we let them together. The only thing they did was hump each other the whole time to be the dominant one.

Mine was never neutered but really liked being pet, and i never got him a friend. I moved 2 years later, and gave him to someone who made him an outdoor bunny, he had a whole orchard to run around in he looked SO happy! and they had a shed he could use to hide in, it was like his cage with bedding on the bottom.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Betta Bomb

Definetly depends on the vet you have to spay/neuter. Mine charged a total of 250$ for Acacia. Bloodwork and all was incuded as well as follow up sessions to make sure the incision was healing correctly.