Rabbit ran away - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Rabbit ran away

My fiance has had a rex rabbit for about 5 or 6 years that, unfortunately, had to live outside. I found out this morning that somehow he got out of his pen last night and ran away. Needless to say we are both very saddened. Since I am not going to get my hopes up that he will come back, I would like to know if he has the knowledge (i guess) to live in the wild. He has lived outside his entire life but it now the dead of winter. He had a heated house that he lived in, and stayed in most of the winter. In addition, a few months ago he had to have sergury to have one of his eyes removed so now he only has one eye. Does anyone know? Also, if anyone has any advice on how to find him that would be great (fyi, there a lot of wild rabbits in the area. the population seems to have gone um a bit since he moved in ). Thank you for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hello - Welcome to Paw Talk.

Unfortuantly domestic rabbits don't usually last too long outside on their own, especially in the winter. Have you seen him anywhere in the area? Can he escape from your yard? You could try setting up a live trap with his food in it. Or maybe contact your neighbors or post signs around the neighborhood in case someone has spotted him. Are you sure he escaped and someone didn't break into the cage?

You could call your local animal shelters and vets as well to let them know what happened. That way if someone else catches him and brings him in they could call you.

You could try contacting your local branch of the house rabbit society. They will most likely have people experienced with catching loose rabbits and may even have a live trap they could let you borrow.

I hope your able to catch him soon! Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I found my first rabbit outside. She was not doing well at all on her own. And Teddy was also a stray - he was very thin when I got him.
You should put flyers up around the neighborhood and call all the local vets and spca's like Dragonrain said. Someone may know where he is. I would think he is extremely vulnerable being a domestic rabbit on his own and with only one eye - it would be even worse. But I really think you have a chance at finding him. Good luck.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Rodentologist

The rabbits we take in that have been outside and trying to live on their own for any long period of time are usually not in very good shape. Start looking, putting up signs, and trying to trap him. The longer he stays out, the less chance there is that he'll come back.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Betta Bomb

AWWWW too bad and good luck trying to find him-i wish you all the best. i have a mini-rex and the fur is quite different than that of a reg bunner.its a good thing to have a one eyed rex since he'll be incredibly noticebale if someone does happen to find him good luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM

I am so sorry to hear this and wish you all the luck. Everyone has given you great advice and the quicker you act on it the better luck you will have. It will be a tough day when you have to decide to quit looking.

Good luck and I hope we hear back from you that you have found her.

Tags
rabbit lost