Rabbit Seems ill - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Rabbit Seems ill

I have 4 dwarf rabbits living in different cages. One of them however seems to be ill. He's about 8-9 years old now, and started acting differently in the past three weeks.
His face seems to be wet all the time, as well as his feet, and he never lies sideways to sleep anymore. He's pooing all over the cage, whereas before he used to poo in one corner only.
The only time when he acts normal is when I'm feeding him.
I've also noticed that his eye vision is not as good as it used to be, and that it takes him a while to notice where the food is at times.

Do you think it's because he's getting older? All the other rabbits seem to be doing fine, despite being situated in the very near vicinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You may want to bring him to the vet he sounds like hes really sick.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, he needs a vet asap.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your concern guys, I took him to the vet.. she told me they're all resulting from age and gave me some vitamins I could try giving him
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

No offense but I'd get a second opinion that just doesn't sound right I'm not sure why but it doesn't to me anyways

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. Was the vet experienced with rabbits?

A wet face and feet are not normal symptoms of old age. They are common symptoms of teeth problems, however. Eye issues can also be caused by teeth problems because of the location of rabbit's tooth roots. To check the back molars the vet would have had to take an xray or used anesthesia to look in the rabbit's mouth. Because of the way their mouths are you can't just look at their back teeth easily the way you can with some animals.

I'd get a second opinion with a rabbit experienced vet. I think something more is going on other than the rabbit just being old. I don't see how vitamins would help either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Betta Bomb

oh dear. Tooth problems are the worst. My Akina developed Retrobulbar disease as a result of a tooth out of place ever slightly. Google image that and other tooth problems in rabbits and I advise anothr vet. www.rabbit.org has a link on finding a proper rabbit vet. Many are unfortunately treating rabbits like cats.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, you need a rabbit-experienced vet. I have an 11 year old rabbit and he has no symptoms like that. It's not just old age.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
old in age, pet, rabbit, sick