Rabbit seems to not like me..also nail issue? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rabbit seems to not like me..also nail issue?

Hi...
I've had my rabbit for about a year and a half now, and its been like this ever since. She seems to not like me, and she likes being isolated. When we got her from the pet store she was under a shelf on the bottom row in a very dark area...and now when I take her out her cage to run around, she doesn't stay by me or anything, she just goes into a room and stays in the corner the whole time.

Also..she has a nail issue..
We've never abused her or anything..and her nails actual have had this issue on 2 others..1 is fixed and the other is currently still messed up.

Her nail seems to grow out barely, and then just turn. We do cut her nails when we see they've gotten long..but we can't to these two nails because the blood is all the way (or mostly for that part) at the top...;-;

She's a Himalayan, anyone know what this nail issue could be...? Maybe she was abused before we got her..or her nails are just abnormal maybe..?

Also..we are taking her to the vet tomorrow..

Last edited by Frankz; 06-17-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
is a little "special"

Is she spayed? Spaying her could help bring out her personality more.
The fact the she isolates herself like that makes me kinda worried... Alot of times rabbits do that because they are sick or in pain. You should definatly ask the vet about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Is she spayed? Spaying her could help bring out her personality more.
The fact the she isolates herself like that makes me kinda worried... Alot of times rabbits do that because they are sick or in pain. You should definatly ask the vet about that.
Hi, Frankz is my sister and I think the isolating part is a little exaggerated. She doesn't sit in a corner all day. She jumps on my moms bed and my mom plays with her, she runs in the living room and my grand dad lets her sit out there and watch T.V.. but she will sit in a corner and lay most of the time, but not all of the time . & No, not that I know of, she isn't spayed

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, OK. Shes probably just resting then, and thats normal. Smudge spends a good amount of his floortime sprawled out napping, so I wouldnt worry about it too much. You definatly want to get her spayed though. Female rabbits have a very high risk or getting reproductive cancer, and most intact females dont live much longer than 4-6 years, compared to a possible 10+ years for female bun buns that are spayed.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Part of the Pack

yeah, what jess said- it is important to get her fixed You'll have to update us on the nail issues, I'm curious about it.

give your love no matter what.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

We got her nails cut today.. they said they can't cut off the broken nail that we found out she has.. they say she wouldn't respond well to the antiseptics, to just make sure no infection comes along..

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

How often do you have her nails cut?

I believe that if you keep getting them cut, the quick recedes lower into the nail. At least that's what happened with my rabbit. When I got Barnaby his nails where very long and twisted into the bottoms of his feet. I had to cut them a little at a time because the quicks where also long and I didn't want to hurt him. I cut his nails once a month and as I kept cutting them the quick would get lower in the nail, so each time I was able to cut them a little shorter. Now his nails are at a normal length and I just make sure I keep up on keeping them cut so they don't get to long again.