rabbit teeth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

rabbit teeth

I have a question. So as some might know we got two bunnies not long ago stewie and brian . stewie is still at the vets right now and wont be home for a couple of days anyways . I was wondering brian has really bad teeth that iv noticed . I was wondering is there away to cut rabbit teeth ? Brian is going for his check up next week but i just wanted to make sure maybe there was something i could do mean while at home

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 01-09-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yup, their teeth can be trimmed. Your vet will be able to do it for you . It's something that you can technically do at home but I would wait until you've seen it done a few times before attempting it on your own.

But I would also try to look into the reason his teeth are bad. What kind of diet does he get and does he use chew toys?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

hes an older rabbit im gussing about 5 or 6 years old he has a vet recommended diet and he has chew toys just never seems to use them i did notice thou that the top teeth are split into 3 and that the bottom teeth are huge and over lapping the top ones

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ack, that doesn't sound good. And being old doesn't usually result in tooth problems like that...I've never had a rabbit get tooth problems because of age (and one of my rabbits is older than yours and his teeth are fine). Maybe he injured himself?

I would try different kinds of chew toys and find something he likes. My pickiest rabbit loves willow so that's an idea. Most rabbits also like cardboard and flavored chews .

By the way, what is the vet recommended diet? Different vets are going to recommend different diets so I'd need more info.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

well when they got here they where only on this ***** pellet . there know on a rabbit mix that I can get from my vet and On hay . He definetly loves the cardboard thanks for the idea.. Maybe he did hurt himself. I havent a clue hes going to the vets on wednesday

By Anonymous

Last edited by Dragonrain; 01-10-2010 at 02:40 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Rodentologist

Sasami is right, age shouldn't affect their teeth. The bottom split really sounds a lot more like something related to trauma (getting hit in the face with something or jumping off of something tall and landing on his face). Get him to the vet ASAP because the longer the teeth are out of whack, the harder it is to get them back to "good".

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Vets know nothing about animal nutrition - they're training consists of about 1 hour of animal nutrition compared to years of veterinary medicine. Most vets recommend crap filled with really bad ingredients and toxic preservatives. Chances are, your vet recommended a really poor rabbit diet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

I would wait and see what the vet say about his teeth. They'll know what they are dealing with more than will be able to recommend what should be done to correct them. Incorrectly trimming them at home could do more harm than good.

For some reason, most exotics vets I've been too seem much more knowledgable about diets than normal dog and cat vets are. Of course I always recommend doing your own research on types of foods as well.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Rodentologist

DR, I've notioced the same thing -- I think it's because so many problems associated with small animals are due to poor husbandry.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
teeth question