Rabbit teeth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Rabbit teeth

So this might seem like a stupid question, but rabbits will eat as much hay as is necessary on their own... right?

Because it always seems like there's a lot of leftover (un-soiled) hay in Linus's cage every morning. I know he does eat some -- I've seen him, but I'm worried that he might not be eating enough to properly wear down his teeth.

And on the subject of wearing down his teeth -- I have these little wood blocks in his cage for him to chew on, and he doesn't. Ever. Not one nibble! He loves to chew on cardboard, but never these blocks. Is that an issue when it comes to his teeth, or does that just mean he doesn't feel the need to yet? In other words, much akin to hay, does a rabbit just know when it needs to chew and does so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Some rabbits are picky with hay, what type of hay are you feeding and what brand?

Most of my rabbits haven't been impressed with wooden blocks. They're just not too exciting . Try willow, yucca, balsa, apple branches, cholla, and grape vine.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Kaytee All-Natural Timothy Hay. The only ingredient is literally "all-natural sun-cured timothy hay."

He DOES eat it, I'm just wondering if he's eating enough to maintain his teeth. And I'll definitely look into what you suggested for wood chews. I saw some willow and apple branches at a local pet store, so maybe I'll pick those up this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My rabbits weren't a fan of Kaytee. I got the occasional good bag but most of the bags were really dusty. Fiona, my angora, won't touch certain brands (including Kaytee). So it might be worth a shot to try a different variety of hay (like meadow hay, orchard grass, hay with herbs, etc.) or another brand (Sweet Meadow Farm is my favorite quality-wise but Oxbow is usually good).

There's no way to tell over a forum if he's eating enough but I wouldn't worry unless his teeth are getting long . Still, I'd try another type of hay just to see.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Poooooppp!

My buns chew on those little wood blocks VERY little, however, I bought them an all natural basket thingy and they tore it up in a day! they're picky lol

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge loves Kaytee Orchard grass and he thinks the Bremuda grass is OK, but he isn't a huge fan of the Timothy either. His all-time favorite is Oxbow oat hay.

But yeah, I agree with Sasami... Plain blocks are really boring! Try willow, it's easy to find at pet stores and it comes woven in cool shapes. Smudge devours the sticks LOL.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks everyone! I'm going to look into the things you suggested ASAP.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Part of the Pack

also, is he littered trained? If he isnt it might be a good idea to do it and then you might have a better idea of how much hes eating? Just an idea!

give your love no matter what.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

He is litter trained! He's definitely eating. I just wasn't sure if he was chewing enough. But today I went and bought apple branch chews and he gnawed the bark right off -- so I'm no longer worried!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Betta Bomb

Acacia's favorite is Oxbow Meadow Hay. She eats a bag a week, so I supplement with bags of timothy. I always have to buy 2 bags -_-

Anyway if you think he's not getting enough, give him less pellets and treats. Put the hay in his litter and he'll munch while "going" Also, do you top it up once or twice a day? The fragrance goes away after a day and a lot of bunnies lit it 'topped' up so they know its still good. Kaysha being that picky .

Yea, the pet stores sell blocks and stuff which is only for profit. As mentioned, plain wood blocks are lame to bunnies. Cardboard is fine for trimming healthy teeth anyway

Tags
chewing, hay, health, teeth, wood