Rabbits attracting mice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Rabbits attracting mice?

I live on the edge of the open desert so mice are not uncommon, but I haven't had any in the house for a few years - until I got bunnies and I've had 2 in the house in the past 2 wks.

My neighbor said I may get mice - that they smell the rabbit droppings and food but he comes up with wacky things once in a while so I didn't expect anything of it. Anybody else see an increase in mice since you got your critters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello Earthling

The food is probably attracting them. A steady supply of food equals a nice place to live. Store your food in air tight containers and pick up any that falls on the floor and anywhere the mice can get to it.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Betta Bomb

I would think mice would smell the rabbits and keep away but food and shelter would naturally attract them. Im unsure but if its a problem get a cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I've only seen mice (or droppings) in the kitchen. The bunnies and their food are in a bedroom on the other side of the house so if they are looking for the bunny food they haven't found it yet. . I caught mouse #3 last night!

I'm not squeamish about catching mice in a trap & one of my dogs actually caught the 1st one so I don't need a cat. (I'm afraid to get a cat with my dogs because they catch squirrels all the time ) Its just strange that I'm getting these mice now & didn't know if it was a coincidence or if my neighbor was right.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Hello Earthling

Maybe look around for any holes and other areas where the mice could be coming in.

Has the weather been different over there? Or is their any construction near by? That's usually one of the big cause when mice start coming into home, they have no where else to go.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

I've had rabbits for awhile and never had mice because of them.

It sounds like maybe it's just a coincidence and they got into the kitchen somehow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Maybe look around for any holes and other areas where the mice could be coming in.

Has the weather been different over there? Or is their any construction near by? That's usually one of the big cause when mice start coming into home, they have no where else to go.
No and no so I'm stumped unless they just opened themselves up a new hole somewhere which is always possible.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My rabbits are outside and I have had trouble with mice before, but it seemed to be the food that was attracting them. I got more carefull not to spill food, and put food in cups that the rabbits couldn't tip, and the mice problem went away. I think it is just a coincidence that you are having a problem with mice. Mice can bring fleas into the house, so check your bunnies often for fleas.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
Mice can bring fleas into the house, so check your bunnies often for fleas.
Thats something I never would have thought of and its good to know. Luckily we don't have fleas in my corner of the world! Seriously! The only time anybody gets them is if they take a pet on vacation someplace else because its too dry here for fleas.