Rabbits Fighting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Rabbits Fighting

Hello,

About six years ago we purchased a 3-month old male rabbit for our daughter from a local pet store. The rabbit has always been friendly even with the occasional rough handling from young children. About 3 years she wanted to get a companion for the rabbit so we purchased another 3-month-old male from the same pet store. (both may have the same parents). Both have always been outdoors. From the start they have gotten along very well. I notice that occasionally one will mount the other and this will go back and forth between them and recently we are seeing more of this. Almost suddenly something has happened. I would often here thumping coming from the cage (this was a first for this pair) and they are now often fighting. We will separate them for a while and when they are reunited it soon starts again. The older one seems to causing most of these problems. I just now reunited them again and instantly the older one mounts the younger (from the wrong end) and starts in again. As I write this a can here almost constant thumping. I notice the younger also has scraps on his face. The younger one is quit a bit larger then the older and older does seem to be slimming down as it ages. Any ideals what may be causing this and what we should do to prevent this.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Rodentologist

Have they been neutered? Have they gone through an actual introduction process, and not just been let out loose together?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If they haven't both been neutered, I wouldn't even try introducing them again. Even if two un-neutered males get along at first, they almost always end up fighting at some point and the fights can be bloody.

Check out rabbit.org, they have a lot of useful information on introducing rabbits .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Yeah, any rabbits but together need to be neutered, or they will end up fighting eventually. It would be best to keep them separated permanently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Betta Bomb

And they are super territorial so just putting them together will not mean that they will get along.

Tags
rabbits fighting