Rabbits outside - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
BSG

Rabbits outside

I have a rabbit who loves to be outside, and I take her out on her leash every day (weather permitting). She doesn't eat grass, but LOVES to scratch at trees, and sniff around.

I've been considering taking her to a park near my house (always empty, and relatively small, but lots of trees). She is trained on the leash, and I have a carrier for transport.

From what I've read, parks are not safe for rabbits. Has anyone tried this? I don't have a large yard, and I'd like her to have more green space to explore.

Here are some pics of Skittles on her leash, and exploring the sunshine (well also discovering my camera)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

So cute! Stash loves to go outside too.

I would be worried about your rabbit getting loose in the park...it would be nearly impossible to catch her. Also, other animals such as dogs and cats might be there.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:25 PM

There is a book called Hop to It: A Guide to Training Your Pet Rabbit that discusses that very issue and has a section devoted to that completely with how to prepare for going to the park, etc. You should see if you can find that book.
Those pictures are adorable! Skittles is beautiful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
There is a book called Hop to It: A Guide to Training Your Pet Rabbit that discusses that very issue and has a section devoted to that completely with how to prepare for going to the park, etc. You should see if you can find that book.
Those pictures are adorable! Skittles is beautiful!
Is that a helpful book? I've seen it before but since very few rabbit books actually have good information I was reluctant to buy it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM

oh my goodness! Skittles is just too adorable! i'm always so nervous to bring my rabbits outside on a harness- but yours looks so safe that maybe i should give it a try.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Sasami, it is pretty helpful if you are completely devoted to your rabbit and stuff. The lady that wrote it actually trained her rabbit and she wrote the book since it was a success story. I read it more as a "good read" but since you have house rabbits, it might be a good buy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Sasami, it is pretty helpful if you are completely devoted to your rabbit and stuff. The lady that wrote it actually trained her rabbit and she wrote the book since it was a success story. I read it more as a "good read" but since you have house rabbits, it might be a good buy.
I'll have to keep an eye out for it . My bunnies know their commands and everything but it still sounds interesting .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM

I tried putting a harness-thing on Pinata twice, but she really didn't like it. Maybe she just needs time to trust me more, since she's relatively new. Or something. I might try again when she seems more "ready". I'll give her time. Forcing her would be ... MEAN >_<
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
BSG

Thanks so much for the help! I'm going to look for that book right now!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 04:33 AM

skittles is adorable...
BUT please..do not think its a good idea to go the park or anywhere other animals may have toileted..we lost our house bun woozle february 2005 due to that.
My mum lives across the way and we used to take him for a walk to her house most days and let him scamper across the green..with my daughter attached to the leash..shes 21 so its not like a little un with a bun! anyhoo he had his myxi booster and was desperate to go for a walk..against my better judgement i let her take him to see her nan for a quick visit whilst i cleaned his overnite cage. She came back very quickly in tears..he was covered in dog poo..there was dog diahorrea and hed ploughed through it..he had a bath and he still reeked so later on we gave him a shower..just like using mite shampoo..nothing dreadful.
Well he went downhill and sunday was very off colour..i had hospital the next morning and said id take him up the vets that afternoon. Went to say goodbye as we flew out the door early in morning only to discover he looked like hed had a stroke..he was having breathing problems and chucking himself around seizing almost
the vet..she never even listend to his chest..gave hima painkiller and sent him home where he strated to die in front of daughter who by this time was virtually housebound with her illness ..as i got in he suddenly had massive seizures and was fighting for breath and seizing..and screaming making terrible noises. then suddenly he was gone.
The vet we complained about lied..got the others to back her up and a few weeks later they misdiagnosed our cat..so i left and went to a practice nearer us..they said it sounded like woozle had got a parasite and gone to his brain..poss from dog feces...and our cat wasnt constipated..she had an enlarged kidney!
yes i know maybe it could have been his myxi jab but with the time frame the parasite is more logical.
So please please be very aware.

pinata isnt ot be rushed..you must be relaxed and pick a good time to try harness..and let a run around session with the harnes minus leash go on..then put on the leash..cary bun outside and whoosh! They soon learn what the harness means and wait for it to be put on!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
BSG

Wow, purplebumble, that is a really scary story. I know not to have her near the feces of any other animal, and the lead is so short, she can only go where I am..

I am definitely re-thinking the park, although, there are very few dogs around, and my municipality has strict stoop and scoop fines, but I'll investigate long before I take her.

As for the harness, it was a bit hard the first time (getting her to wear it) but i just pet her until she was calm, and let her eat a treat (apple slice) while I was strapping it on. Because it's a mesh vest, it's so comfy for her and she can't wriggle out... it seems to work well, she sometimes forgets to let me take it off when we get inside... once the lead is off, she doesn't remember it's there!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 PM

OK Thanks purplebumble ^_^
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:47 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I have had my Schneeball on his leish a few times, I have walked around the block, and between Three houses in close proximity with him in old town.

The closest I came to a Park was in fact an allotment site, this was by rights a potentialy huge site, but I kept to the paths and just went up and down a few times around a few plots.

No chance for cat or dog mess there, I also had my carry basket with me.

Hmmm I would agree on being wary on avoiding any actual busy parks and any Faeces within, they could harbour infection.

I love that first picture of Skittles, she looks so proud.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbits