Reality Check - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Reality Check

I found these web pages on keeping rabbits outside. I was wondering if rabbit owners (parents) find such articles helpful?

www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/outdoors.html
http://therabbithutch.com/Care/outdoorhutch/outdoor.htm
www.tagyerit.com/hopline/cold.htm
www.coloradohrs.com/findinghome.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:16 PM

I think articles like these are helpful in weeding out the potential bad bunny owners, the ones who would just leave the rabbit in a small hutch outside and forget about them. Or maybe just wake others up to the dangers in their area. Maybe change their mind of either owning a bunny or re-thinking the set-up they have to make it more bunny safe.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Will It Ever Change?

learn something new every day!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I thought these articles were "preaching to the choir" so to speak. I question many of the claims. I know there is a big problem with domestic feral rabbits in Alaska, so I know rabbits can do well in cold weather. I also don't think they take into account diversity in our life styles. I do think the arguments could help weed out potential bad owner, but for people who must keep their rabbits outside, do these articles help them do a better job with their rabbits? Do they just anger those owners and help to create an atmosphire of a "Holy War" amoung outdoor and indoor rabbit people, or are most people alright with the tone of these articles?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
I think articles like these are helpful in weeding out the potential bad bunny owners, the ones who would just leave the rabbit in a small hutch outside and forget about them. Or maybe just wake others up to the dangers in their area. Maybe change their mind of either owning a bunny or re-thinking the set-up they have to make it more bunny safe.
Agreed. If you know enough about bunnies to keep them outside you probably wouldn't need websites like that, right? That's just my opinion, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Since shelters no longer give out information on outdoor rabbits, I think most people who keep rabbits outside do what has been modeled for them in the past. If bad outdoor rabbit practices have been modeled in the past, the cycle continues. I was watching Animal Cops and they had a case where the people really loved their outdoor rabbits, but the SPCA had to show them how to build a shelter for their rabbits.

I think for me the troubling part about these sites is that no mention is made of house rabbit abuse. All one has to do is do a search on child abuse and there are tons of information telling about the link between child abuse and animal abuse. People who abuse children usually start out abusing animals. Since we have a problem with child abuse in this country, then it would be reasonable to assume that the house pets of these children must also have problems that aren't being reported. Why do house rabbit organizations ignore this problem? Why is no one working on legislation to make it manditory for social workers and others who work with abused children to report animal abuse when they see it? Is this a case of "out of site, out of mind" mentallity amoung house rabbit organizations? Don't they care? Does no one in these organizations have experience with abusers?

Tags
animal abuse, house rabbit