is it really permanent? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

is it really permanent?

hi as youknow i have got a spayed doe from a rescue about 2 months ago and shes bonded with our fwuffy bunny baby..oscar whove we ve had for a year now..
The problem is Bif is sooo scared and is making an effort and then seems to take 20 steps back..weve had to pick her up agaisnt her will to groom her for the first time tonight..we darent scare her before that but shes moulting badly..
She fought tooth and nail..i mean it..but when the slicker brush was swopped for a bunny soft brush..she adored it..really loved it...
then she got down and a few minutes later snoozed on the carpet near my daughters feet.

The lady who was foster mum for the rescue emailed my daughter tonight and said she didnt like the name she had..she now sounded like a boy...and then said she cant be scared still..that she will probably never ever be any different than she is now..

im so upset i thought we were doing an ok job and holding out hope..we know shell never be like oscar..hes always been adorable and licks your face like a puppy..hes the most sociable bunny ive known but he was ex show stock so used to people and animals..

Bif was a rescue bun split up from her brother ...its new territory for me..
is this right..she will never be any different...
im distraught..she was never humanised...so how can we do it at her age..shes just 20 months old. is it too old...is it rue its permanent her ways..

any advice would be great..i feel really upset now..i know we got her for oscar not us..but shes so cute and quite mad..i have fallen for the little darling and all i want to do is be able to groom her and hope she trusts me enough to walk run etc near us and not almost die of fright.. i dont expect cuddles etc like we get from oscar..i just want some interaction for us all..

maybe i was wrong to get a rescue buny if theres never any hope of helping them along and gaining their trust...but i know i did her a huge favour...and oscar loves her dearly and adores him..sigh....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I just read you other post about Biff cleaning Oscar's eyes. How could you ever second guess your decision to take her? I really don't know a thing about bunnies other than Tabatha (and I think she may be a strange bunny) but I think you should just give her time. 20 months is not that old. Do more things like brushing her with the soft brush as often as you can. I would think it would be terrible to walk by somone you adore and have them run from you in fear but try and be patient. This may sound silly but when you walk by be sure to remain calm and try to project calm feelings. I believe animals can smell our body chemistry that sometimes we don't even realize is going on. I know - it does sound silly but it cannot hurt. And every time you get upset look at how happy she has made Oscar and he has made her - after all they are what it's all about! You are a blessing to her even if she doesn't realize it yet!
I wish I could give tabatha that same kind of companionship. But with her being so ill and all my other responsibilties I don't think I will be able to ever offer her the relationship that you have given them. I guess she will just have to love on Quentin (her stuffed rabbit friend) and talk with Tyler and Bean (the kitties).
Hang in there b/c you did the right thing for both rabbits!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 07:43 PM

PS and she is you bunny now - call her whatever makes you happy! heck I have a kitty named Butter Bean after the chubby boxer!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i think she will come around in time. when she is older i bet you she most definally will mellow out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you..i hope she does mellow a bit1

Kathydip..thank you so much for the advice..the only thing is we have to catch her or get her out the crate to groom her..but i ordered a bunny brush sooo soft(no baby brushes as soft as this i assure you!) and she let my daughter brush her under a lot of kicking and panicking and biting her clothes..so she placed her beside her on the chair and she dozed as she was brushed..but last two days she wasnt having any of it!
yesterday tho she was being brushed and my half brother who comes by every week actually got to stroke her on the head and she closed her eyes blissfully..
We also discovered she likes apples..only when my daughter is eating them..sliced up as her CFS makes it to exhausting to bite an apple..causes too much jaw pain..(my daughter not bif!)
So she was offered the apple and kept going up and sniffing it..eventually she let my daughter place it righ near her and she nibbled it till it was all gone and she never ran away.
Shes been sniffing my mums legs up and down and periscoping and staring at her..
she responds to her name but wont come too near..HOWEVER i lay on the floor propped up in a bean bag as i hurt my back 6 months ago and sitting in a chair is agony..so she runs around me now instead of avoiding me and i talk to her as she goes past or looks at me..she sniffs me and nudges me as she runs round me and even climbed on my legs again..im not allowed to touch tho..so i just leave it at that.
However she now associates me with clean cage..breakfast and tea..she gives me cupboard love almost i swear..i put their food in and stroke them both on the head and nose and talk to them..this morning she let me rub my cheek against hers and kiss her ear and she she was perfectly happy..of course oscar got his too..we used to do it with him so and still do at feeding time so maybe it will help.
Also im leaving them in the crate till just after midday..there are still a few nte poos to be cleaned up! She saw me go past and thought ii was letting them out..now she lets me open the door and get on half the little block they use to jump down onto and she just comes out at normal pace now and even brushes against me!
Last night i was cleaning the crate put a few huge clumps of hay inside and i nearly stepped back on her..unbeknown to me she had been watching me all the time from right beside/behind me instead of behind the dog crate as usual!!

Im hoping it continues..shes so good for oscar and he adores her and she loves him too..although when i was bonding them you wouldnt have thought so!

Aww tabatha sounds so loving and i know hat you mean bout kitties..all my house buns have been fluent in CAT!! Now the puddies are all passed over..hes getting fluent in rabbit!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 08:17 PM

I am so happy to hear you have had some improvement with her already! I am sure with time it will all continue. I will have to look into the bunny brush. I am sure Tabatha would enjoy that. Although she has no problem with me petting her. Whenever I sweep up her poopies she is always nudging my hand.
At least you have Oscar to love on for now! I am so sure that with her seeing how much Oscar enjoys all of you she will get curious as to what is just so wonderful about people.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

i have had Daisy for 7 months and she is just now starting to let my husband pet her without cowering

and you talk about Bif watching you - that's what Daisy does to my husband, she will be standing up right behind him - she'll even tap him on his back, but as soon as he looks at her, she trots off and comes back to me

why Bif's foster mom would say those things about her is beyond me... you can't even learn a full-grown buns personality in just 2 months, it takes time for both of you to get used to each other

i had a cat named Meow-Meow growing up and then as a teenager i had a cat named Bark-Bark....
now my buns are Charlie, Daisy, Rocko, and Mr. Creepies - yes, "mr." is part of his name.... i try not to have favorites among my buns, but Mr. Creepies's name is the most fun to say