Red Pee - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Red Pee

My bunny (snoopy) he doesn't bite his cage as much now, but few days ago I notice his urine color is red sometimes, any idea?? is it normal? I read some article they said is okay to be red sometimes, but I've asked my friend she also have had a rabbit for few years, she does not know about that. any clue? I saw him pee in red on the floor like Monday then it was normal color, then today when I came after work I saw his pee is red again (cuz he pee in his bowl, is that normal that he pee in his bowl?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

i'm no expert, but my vet told me that rabbit pee can be red or orange sometimes, and i do notice it. maybe someone else can offer more info, but i whave been told not to worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George orwell
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Some types of feed will colour the urin.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Its totally normal! I went through this with 2 of my boys.......they are both white and before they were neutered they used to spray eachother with red pee so most morning i would find 2 funny looking orange buns in their hutch!!! I am not sure what colours their pee although i know that carrots and other frits etc can help colour it but when i questioned my vet he said it was totally normal so no need to panic!!! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the reply and I more relieve now. Does it matter how dark or light red it is? because his urine tends to be more dark red. but he does act normal and eat normal, i guess the color shouldn't matter so much. But I think I will let my Vet knows next time when take Snoopy to him.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

No it doesnt matter how dark it is........it shouldnt last that long my boys were doing it for about a month then they stopped........just check with your vet for your own piece of mind but i can assure you its totally normal! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Betta Bomb

im no expert and i have not experienced this but someone told me its caused by new items in the diet? particularly carrots and other like foods with a high stain to it. is it actually red or is just dark oeange like VEERY concentrated looking? i think thats normal
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks, I called the Vet today because Snoopy wouldn't come out at all, until later he finally active again. The Vet told me it is normal as long as he is acting normal (which he is). Thanks all!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

Eating too much carrot can cause their pee to turn orange, so maybe that's it. I give Flash no more than 2 baby carrots per day (usually as a treat to lure him back into his cage at the end of play time).

--Fromper
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Other than for reasons related to diet, rabbit pee can sometimes come yet a normal yellow color, but then oxidize and turn orange, red, or brownish.

Like everyone else said, it's normal as long as your rabbit is healthy and acting normal.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Playful Pup

From Rabbits.org....

Red urine is a descriptive term for the condition where a rabbit's urine varies in color from the normal pale yellow to dark yellow, carrot orange, brown, or bright red. Red urine is not a medical problem. The color usually returns to normal within one to three days, although I have had a couple of rabbits take three to four weeks before their urine returned to the pale yellow color.

For obscure reasons (my rabbits all eat the same food, drink the same water and get the same treats) some get red urine, some don't. Red urine (due to excessive urinary pigments) may occur due to any of the following:
  • While on antibiotics
  • At the first cold snap in the fall
  • After eating fir leaves
  • After eating carrots, spinach or other veggies containing beta carotene
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thank-you!! His urine looks normal for the past few days since I didn't give him any carrot.

Tags
color, red, urine