Red urine...whats up with that? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Red urine...whats up with that?

Just wondering if reddish urine is a cause for concern. My rabbit is 4 years old. He always has water, a small amount of pellets and he always has hay (timothy, oat and orchard grass) also before I go to bed at night I give him a stack of romaine lettuce.

I was reading online that it may be his diet and I should have the urine tested by the vet. Should I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM

It could be an infection and yes should probably be checked. Also I've always been told by our vet (and my mom used to raise buns for 4-h) Nooo lettuce...it can really mess up their system from what I've heard...though it would be safe to give him a few baby carrots instead?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I give my buns romaine all the time. It's on the list that was reviewed by my vet. I know you cannot give them any head lettuces.
As for the red urine - don't be too worried but definitely call the vet. I thought that the urine can range from orange to even a reddish tinge. But still call the vet to be sure.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM

I have heard that urine can vary in colour from clear to very dark orange so chances are he is ok but if you havent noticed this before probably best to get a second opinion.

Also, on the lettuce debate. I was advised not to feed the buns any lettuce, it can cause serious problems if fed in large quantities. On the other hand i know a of people on here feed their rabbits romain lettuce so I doubt this is the cause. Just be advised only the outer leaves of the romaine should be fed, avoiding the hearts themselves.

Let us know the outcome.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 AM

I would have the bunny checked by a vet, just to be sure, especially if the urine wasn't that color before. One thing I have noticed, though, is that when my two older rabbits were younger and I was feeding them alfalfa hay and pellets, their urine was orange, which I was told was from the alfalfa. When they were older and I switched them to timothy pellets and timothy hay, the orange color went away.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Penelope has orange urine. To be honest I have no idea what color Oliver and Ophelia's urine is. They both use their litter box.

As for the lettuce- I believe you cannot feed head lettuces but leaf lettuces are fine. My vet recommends romaine, red leaf and green leaf lettuces. They have leaf lettuce every night. Often they have all 3.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Red urine is common in rabbits. Bloody Urine is a different story.
This is from the rabbit society website:
The color usually returns to normal within one to three days, although I have had a couple of rabbits take three to four weeks before their urine returned to the pale yellow color. White urine may be due to excess calcium in the diet; if it stays white for many days you may want to discuss your rabbit's diet with your veterinarian. Dark urine resulting from heat stress or dehydration may require fluid therapy

For obscure reasons (my rabbits all eat the same food, drink the same water and get the same treats) some get red urine, some don't. Red urine (due to excessive urinary pigments) may occur due to any of the following:

While on antibiotics

At the first cold snap in the fall
After eating fir leaves
After eating carrots, spinach or other veggies containing beta carotene

Any dark leaf lettuce is okay for them just not head lettuce. Mine eat the dark stuff all the time. Look on the rabbit.org for a list of veggies you can give.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much!

Tags
alfalfa hay, litter box, rabbit society, romaine lettuce, timothy hay