Retrobulbar disease?!?!?!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Retrobulbar disease?!?!?!?

Akina just came home from the vet. - the good AAHA accredited one- and they seem to think its Retrobulbar disease in her eye which means that there is an abscess or infection or something pushing her eye from the other side. Tomorrow at 8 am I need to drop her off there again for anesthetic to put in a thorough exam on her teeth to rule it out. X-rays were fine and it appears that cif antibiotics dont cure it, sugery/euthanasia will be required.. Im nervous as ****!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
is a little "special"

Awwww, I hope that she does OK! Poor baby...
As long as its a good vet (and it sounds like it is!) Im sure that she will do just fine under anethetic. They usually are only under a minute or 2.
Good luck!! Give her some extra treats and kisses from me and Smudgey! <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Rodentologist

We've had this happen with guinea pigs before. The ones that had the problems were all highly inbred surrenders and several had developed brain tumors and abscesses. Generally they lost the eye but often got several years of time in return.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Im not sure about having her eye removed. If Simms can remove the eye it will cost me an arm and a leg! I hope anti biotics work, b/c its not really bad as some of the pics I seen online when I came home. Poor things, I just want Akina to be happy again.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Rodentologist

If it's an infection, it's going to be almost impossible to get with antibiotics because rabbits are SO GOOD at walling off abscesses and other infections. I've got an Exotic DVM with a case study on a rabbit that had an abscess bigger than a baseball (gr-ooooossss!)

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thats sad
Akina is at the vet now.. I cant wait to have her back home
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Got a call Good news!!
They extracted 2 teeth which seem to been problematic, when I get her home she'll be on anti-biotics and hopefully the infection will go down and PRAYING it's not retrobulbar disease!! Hoping it WAS just her teeth afterall
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'll keep her in my thoughts and hope that it was just a problem with her teeth!

Good luck and please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am hoping Akina feels better soon.
Poor bunny.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

They gave me critical care for her food but I guess they dont kow the magic trick, Akina NEVER turns down raisens!! She's eating in her own (YAY)
And Bunny Batryil (again) she HATES this even tho is strawberry flavor (it didnt trick me either). The vet said that the tooth they romoved on the top was loose - which is very wierd indeed- so she's hoping this would have been the cause of the eye bulge and not retrobulbar. Where they removed that tooth she said there is a good pocket for draining the pus from behind the eye. This may or may notbe a good thing where the pus is so think but chances are the opening should help The other tooth was poiting in the wrong spot I think, I dont remember but it's on the same side. Alot of her teeth her little poity so they were trimmed.
Im surprised Akina did so well, her teeth are on her file in the vet, it was Dr. S's first tooth extraction on a bunny....O.o This scared me when she said as I had no idea they were even going to remove teeth!! And I would have preferred someone who has done it before. Dr.S is the most advanced exotic/ bunny in St.Johns though and I trust her.
Thanks for your well wishes guys!! Let's pray this infection goes down and Mrs.Magoo will be alright
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

How's Akina doing today?
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I got the Metacam and she's so far had 2 dosages. Last night and today. Im not sure how long i takes to settle in but she's laying around still. I did however get some action out of her today when I was cleaning her pen. She was hopping around me, not like before but better than the last dew days. I woke up from my bf's and came here at 7 am for the Metacam injection then woke up again at 10 for the Baytril. But she has become used to this theme of ME=MEDS and avoids me and puts up a fight when coming upsies Her trust has been diminished which is terribly sad. I give her lots of massages and songs and try to make her believe it has to be done in order for her to get better but I dont think Im convincing enough :/ Also, does anyone know if its ok to giver her bum a bath b/c her fur is all stained from sitting in her pee- theres no poos stuck there and I check it every time with my hand but Im thinkin the constant wetness isnt good for her. Right now she just has plain newspapers which her vet told me to giver her b/c her hocks were constantly sore from the hay and Yesterdats News....
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Rodentologist

You should pester your vet for the oral metacam. All our animals LOVE it, it apparently tastes like honey.

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I have the oral metacam, and I thought it smelled repulsive! But last night I did ge tthe whiff of honey off it. Still- Akina assumes me to medication and is being a lil brat when it comes time.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Aww don't worry, once she is healthy again you can work to rebuild her trust. When Barnaby hurt his noise I had to give him meds and he hated me for awhile. He started running away and thumping his feet at me every time I came into the room. But I've been bribing him with treats everyday and he's back to running up to greet me.