RIP Dude, I miss you - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

RIP Dude, I miss you

After a courageous battle with this, that, and the other... I am sad to report that I lost my little Dude on Wednesday. Kathydip, all I could do was remember what I read in your posts about Tabby. Making the decision to put Dude down was oh so difficult but only fair to him. He was not doing so good. It was incredibly hard and man, I miss him so much.

After being diagnosed with E-cuniculi and being treated for it..... he was left with a head tilt that actually got better over time. Some days he was more tilty than others. He also lost a lot of his back leg mobility and maintaining balance became tricky. No more binkies from him. Poor guy even grieved over the loss of two girlfriends, Pip and Ruby. Even so....... he was a trooper.

But then recently he started having issues. He was drinking a ton of water and peeing all the time. The weird thing is that he seemed to be leaking urine or something because his back end was always soaked with urine. I would bathe him but it still didn't help much. He lost all the fur around his back legs (from urine burn)... and even lost some of the fur on the bottom of his back feet. My vet did blood work on him and he had a urinary tract infection. She tried to test his urine too but couldn't get a sample. She sent me home with Baytril and an ointment to put on his skin. His recheck appt was supposed to be this coming Monday, but he couldn't wait. On Wednesday, he just seemed miserable. He now had no control over his hind legs. He would flail around his pen trying to get a footing but he couldn't because his legs were twisted. It just killed me when he would land in his water bowl. And now he was losing the hair on his behind... right above his tail. Plus he seemed way skinny even though he was still eating normally. When I took him in on Wednesday, his weight had dropped from 3.1 lb to 2.4 lb just in one week. I just couldn't watch him suffer any longer.

He was such a good boy and he touched my heart. I am still so sad over losing him. Yesterday, I went to switch my calendar to April because I hadn't yet. I have a calendar that I designed myself with various photos. I wasn't expecting to flip to April only to find a big ole pic of Dude looking at me. I was reduced to tears. Gosh I miss him something fierce. This is so hard.

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Part of the Pack

this made me tear up. I'm so sorry about your sweet bunny, but you did the right thing. Keep your chin up high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww hunny i am so sorry. I am experiencing something similar with one of my buns at the moment but thankfully he seems to be getting stronger. You did your very best for your lil Dude and he loved you and you should be proud you chose to stop his suffering. Hugs to you hun............RIP lil Dude xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

RIP Dude. I'm sorry for your loss! If you need to talk my PM box is open. It's been about 8 months since I lost my Zeus, and I still miss him like crazy. It's so hard to loose them - but you gave Dude a good life and I think that's what matters most.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh I am so sorry! I haven't been checking in here the last few days. I feel so badly. I know how hard that decision is but you did the right thing and put him first. I am sure he is up there looking down on you and thanking you for that.
Dude is like Tabby to me and Zeus to Michelle - they will always be part of us and with us. I still miss my Tabby but it does get better. My tears are now happy ones. Yours will be too.
Hugs to you and if you ever need me PM me - I promise to check this site daily.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the replies. It's been one week and I'm doing a little better but still miss him terribly. Everytime I walk by his pen and see Daisy in there by herself, it just pains me. I know things will get easier over time, but right now it still seems so fresh.

~ Debrya

Tags
e-cuniculi, hair loss