runny eye? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question runny eye?

hello

well... one of my rabbits- Thimble- has one eye that keeps watering in the mornings. it's her left eye, and i notice evry morning its watery and by night it is fine again. i have checked her eye over very carefully, and there are no apparent scratches or anything. this has been going on for a few days now, but she keeps her eye open and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

does anyone have any suggestions as to anything i could do? are there any over the counter eye drops that are safe for a rabbit? (i know a lot of eye drops are bad for animals b/c of animal proteins in them or something like that)...

do you think it will clear up on its own since there are no signs of trauma to it(other then it watering)? Or do you think a vet is needed in this situation? any comments and/or suggetsions would be great. thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

* Cries *

My Nash-eoke had the same problem god rest his soul =^-^=

Im sure you can get some eyedrops or cream from the vet, but its unlikely you bun has a scarred tear duct like my Nashie did.

Im sure its not serious but its best to get it looked at just in case.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

hmm... i hope it's not a scarred tear duct! she does seem to have constant tearing in the morning and afternoon! i've decided to just take her to the vet, in case she is in pain or something, although she seems happy and is eating and doing her usual morning and nightly binkies and eveeything... hopefully it will be nothing serious but i will keep my fingers crossed!!!!

Ninnles &

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM

Im sure she will be just fine.

= ^ _ ^ =
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks i hope so! it always looks like she's crying... it's so sad! bunny tears are the saddest tears i swear!!!

Ninnles &

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How is your bunny now? One of mine gets a sore eye every so often, I bathe it with boiled water salt water (cooled down)... I also got a great eye cream from my vets..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well... my vet can't get me in until this thursday!!! which is very disturbing. but Thimble seems okay. her eye looked a little swollen last night but looks fine this morning. she is still eating and doing binkies so i don't think she is in pain... but i guess it can be hard to tell with rabbits. if the eye gets swollen at all again i will take her into the emergency vet. but hopefully she will be okay til thursday.

Ninnles &

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

She will be in my thoughts!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 AM

Your bunny girl is in my thoughts too

= ^ _ ^ = Toky-Ohki

=^-^= Nash-eoke ( I got a wet eye too ! )

( ( HUGS ) )
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks guys! i'll let you know what the vet says asap!

Ninnles &

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well... the vet told me it was nothing serious! and gave me some drops to put into Thimble's left eye twice a day. She did some weird eye test where she put this greenish saline stuff into my bunnie's eyes and it dripped down through her nose. That is when the vet said her tear ducts were not clogged. so... basically nothing was wrong! the vet said she thinks the dry winter air is mist likely the cause of it and that i should get a humidifier in my room. i am just so glad there wasn't a scratched cornea or something painful like that! I get so nervous about rabbits' eyes because they are so big and they are right out there and sometimes i feel like it would be so easy for them to get poked in the eye or scratched or something awful like that!

but anyway! thanks for all the advice and support! and i'm glad to report that Thimble is just fine now!

Ninnles &

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:40 AM

Great to hear Thimble is ok and nothing is blocked.

My Nash-eoke had a scarred tear duct and it never drained properly.

Keep us updated on bunny

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
emergency vet