Ryo bite Alex!!! What to do now - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Ryo bite Alex!!! What to do now

today i had them on nuetral territory and there were great the first hour. and Alex ran up to Ryo just smelling. i didnt seen any signs of agression and Ryo bite him and wouldnt let go. when i got them seperated i seen Alex had a pretty big bite wound. its just skin off, no missing meat. but his skin looks "clear" where if it was a tad bit deeper he would had bled. i mean he did bleed, but barely any. i dont think he needs a vet but i am keeping a close eye on him. poor thing...
sometimes i feel like this is a lost cause and when i let them on non nuetral territory last night i really messed it up. should i skip a few days before letting them play again and then just do it for 30 min to an hr a day like before? i dont know where to go from here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Part of the Pack

hmm.. im sorry you had a bad day with them! i think set backs are common though. i dont think you should give up.

when my rabbits got a bite my vet said it was fine to use neosporin on the bite. my bunnies also had bites that sounded just as Alex's bite. i'm sure he will be fine.

keep your hopes up! hopefully they will sense your optimism and behave with eachother!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

im wondering if i should wait a few days to try again to let them cool off.
what do you think.
thanks for your help fane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
im wondering if i should wait a few days to try again to let them cool off.
what do you think.
thanks for your help fane
That might be a good idea.

I'm sorry to hear things turned out this way . Bunny bonding is so tricky...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Playful Pup

I'm sorry it's going so rough for you. They look like such sweetie pies. I'm sure it will get better, just hang in there.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

yeah they were turning out to be great pals

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

that's what i've done with Charlie & Daisy, i'll let them share the whole space of their room (i ignore the little scrappings), but if they get too bad then i'll put them back in their sides of the room and give a day or two depending on what they were fighting about or how bad it was. if they were just fighting over a toy, then usually all they need is an hour or so.

they can still smell each other and see each other, but there's a cage fence between them (so no physical fighting), although if i catch one of them chewing on the fence at the other i'll knock on the wall to get them to cut it out

something like your buns' fight, i'd say keeping them together, but separated, a few days would be best. good luck with them!!

Last edited by jewels; 06-01-2006 at 02:10 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks, yeah i am not letting them come in contact with each other outside the cage bars for a couple of days.
anyone think i should start the introduction process all over again?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Part of the Pack

i think waiting a few days is a good idea

however- i would make sure to keep at it relentlessly. i think taking too much time off may allow them to think its finally over and they dont have to hang out anymore. so i think a just a few days like you said is the best route b/c that gives Alex time to forget about the fight a little, and it also give Ryo time to calm down.

i know how it is whith the over-territorial female bunny. and i know i've said this before, but my older female is also the fight-starter with my two. however- in time i think Ryo will realize that she can share her love with you and Alex, and still recieve the same attention fomr you, meanwhile gaining a new buddy!

i say, just no matter what- don't give up! i think i gave up on my two way too soon and now its been a year and i would just never trust them together even if they ever got along! so i think the more time Ryo and Alex can spend together the better things will go.

oh- and also- i dont think you need to start the whole bonding process all over, but i would keep them in the neutral area teh next few times and make sure you stay with them until they start to relax with each other again.

how is Alex's bite? these litte bunnies seem to be pretty uneffected when it comes to bites, or is that just mine? i notice when my rabbit Sniffles got bit in the past she was up and running again in a few minutes. hehe/ maybe shes just a little brute, i dont know! haha

Ninnles &

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

honesly no lie....
its half way healed over night!!!! my mouth droped when i seen this. hes doing just fine. im still going to watch for infection.
so if i was doing 3 hr sessions how long should i do them for now?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Part of the Pack

i'm so glad Alex's bite is so much better! yay!

and i say keep them together as long as you can - or until they go at it again in a serious manner. if they are willing to just sit together and nap, then go with it. however- if they are ready to go at it again right away- maybe cut way back to 30 minutes a day again until they relax with all that aggression. hopefully the other day was just a slight set-back and they can get past it sooner rather than later! good luck!

Ninnles &

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

sounds good to me.
the bad fight happend last night. do you think tomorrow i should let them play together or wait till saturday?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Part of the Pack

Hmm.. well, if Alex is okay so far as his bite goes, i guess you could give it a try again tomorrow. I thik RYo will bebreday, i would just make sure Alex isn't still afraid. i know bad fights can cause sore feelings for a while, but their fight seemed to be not as bad as it could ahve been, thank goodness!

so, if tomorrow you are feeling good about it then it's definately worth a shot, and if they instantly get angry- i guess just put them away and wait til saturday. but if they are acting alright - go for it, just make sure to be ready to intervene at any second, obviously! they are so quick these little rabbits! it has always amazed me how fast they can strike eachother!

Ninnles &

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

and Ryo doesnt show ANY agressive signs before she lunges at him. thats how these fights happen

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Part of the Pack

how did things go with Ryo and Alex?> did you try a bonding session again?

Ninnles &

Tags
cage bars