Ryo's huge claws - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Ryo's huge claws

Ryo's claws are sticking out from her fur, and there starting to CURVE! i am guessing she needs a clippin bad! i dont have the guts to do it myself. but i dont want it to wait until NEXT tuesday either..... i am scared she is going to get them caught on stuff. i mean... she does anyway, but i mean rip one off on something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 PM

They need to be clipped ASAP! Poor baby!!
My rabbit Dutchie is really good about it. With him, I can flip him on his back and he practically falls asleep. With him, I can do it by myself.
I used to have another rescue rabbit named Lucky Jack. He's been rehomed with one of our receptionists at work. Lucky is a whole different ballgame when it comes to nailtrims. It's definetly a 2 person job involving a towel and only sticking one paw out at a time. Wrap him like a burrito with one paw out and one person holds while the other clips. It'll make his little tootsies feel SO much better! Without regular nailtrims, the claw can cause the toes to curve and bend which in turn can cause deformity and severe arthritis. I would get a friend or family member and try to do it myself if possible, If not, wait till tuesday and if you have a wire bottom cage, see if you can find something to line the bottom with so his nails don't catch and rip off. Good luck and let us know how it goes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 PM

Mandie has had some great advice!
But I think, considering he's been living with this for a while, if you can't get the hang of clipping his nails, it's best to wait until you can get him to any vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

i honestly never have even TRYED clipping Ryo's nails.
no, Ryo is a house rabbit and is usually running out in the room, and her cage isnt wire bottomed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
i honestly never have even TRYED clipping Ryo's nails.
no, Ryo is a house rabbit and is usually running out in the room, and her cage isnt wire bottomed.
That's good, it can probably wait till Tuesday then, but have the vet/vet assistants show you the easiest way to do it. I know I was paranoid the first time I did bunny nails
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

i was messing with Ryos feet today, looking at her claws.
she didnt seem to mind me messing with them. i was temped to get out the clippers and at least say i tryed. however i just have human finger/toe nail clippers. i didnt know if that would work out or not. yeah i am calling the vet monday, i hope they can fit me in on such sort notice. surely to goodness if the vet cant, a vet tech or someone can clip her claws for me!
and i need to get some flee treatment for alex anyway.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 PM

i haven't ever even tried clipping either of my bunnies nails
my vet will clip them for 6 bucks a pop, and i take them twice a year - i figure $24 a year is worth it to get them clipped since i wouldn't know what i was doing if i tried!
i'd check it out with the vet, even if you want to do it yourself just watch the vet do it once so you'll know how to do it (if you don't already)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

oh i watch her. i see how she does it, and they dont even give her many problems.
i just dont even want to try!
my vet has been clipping them for free, as long as i have one office visit.
like with alex's check up and when soma (mouse) had a URI i bring Ryo with me and she just clips them for free
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 PM

why run the risk of hurting your buns when you have a great vet like that? it's great when you can find a vet like that

she probably wouldn't charge much if you just wanted her to clip their nails without an office visit - usually my vet will look over the buns' ears and teeth and feel them up a little in the same short visit just to make sure they're healthy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

well, the stress of the car ride sorta makes me want to do it myself.
yeah she is a great vet.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 AM

well, judging by Ryo's coloring i'm assuming she has clear or light nails? could be wrong of coarse. hehe. so i think you'd be able to do it - just find where the quick stops and clip high above it until you get better and better at it. i was so scared at first as well- but both of my rabbits had terible experiences with one nail getting ripped out completely b/c it was so long!!! so now i clip them like every 3 months. i think you will be able to do it- if i could anyone could! b/c i was just a bundle of nerves the first few times. but i know the thought of hurting them is unbearable. perhpas you're vet will let you clip a couple each time you go until you can do them all?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:29 PM

And I suggest you get a friend or family member to help you, with my dwarves it was a two person job!

Tags
house rabbit, lucky jack, vet tech