:S , just found one i have a boy and a girl - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down :S , just found one i have a boy and a girl

Hi, okey so Lady Gaunja is a BOY, and my new rabbit is a GIRL, i dont have money to get them spayed/nuterd , and when ever they play together , they ...do it. lol. the boy seems a bit rough with the female, is this normal?, any help would be GREAT !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Don't let them play together! You will be very lucky if the female is not pregnant. You need to get them BOTH fixed before you let them interact.

Are you SURE that it's a male? Female rabbits do hump to establish dominance. Just because one is humping another doesn't mean it's a male. You should figure out how to sex your pets for sure so that you don't chance mixing males and females in the future.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 PM
is a little "special"

Exactly what mtmaughan said. You DONT want babies, so dont let them play together! Where did you get your rabbits? Petstores are terrible at sexing them, so you are never garenteed what you get there.
And any rabbits, no matter what their genders are, will hump eachother to establish dominance. So it doesnt necessarily mean that you have a boy/girl pair, unless you actually checked your self.

But on the bright side, if it is a boy/girl pair, they will probably be easier to bond than a girl/girl or boy/boy pair AFTER they are fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

I think its a boy, i picked him up and a penis was out, well i think it was a penis lol. but anyways, i am going to have to give up the new lionhead bunny , i realy wish i didnt have to , but it is like 300 bucks to get her fixed here in ontario , thank you for your help , you guys are great
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Rodentologist

You need to get her fixed regardless of your other bunny. It doesn't matter whether you have him or not. Also, if it is a male, she is likely pregnant, so a spay right now before she can get too far along is all the more important.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Could you think of a way to raise the money to get them fixed? Maybe have a yard sale, or sell stuff on ebay or something? What about using a credit card and paying it off over time, or seeing if you can borrow money from a friend or relative?

If you don't make a lot of money, it's a good idea to start a emergency fund for the rabbits. You don't want something to happen and not be able to afford to take them to the vet.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

Well, why, if knowing neither was fixed, WOULD you let them play together? I doubt she's not pregnant.

I agree w/Dragonrain, having a yard sale or something would help raise money. And also be mindful that while getting the boy neutered and not the girl spayed would be cheaper, the girl is prone to cancer.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
is a little "special"

Im not trying ot be rude, but I REALLY wish you had listened to our advice on not introducing them before they are fixed! THIS is exactly why you should not introduce rabbit that arent fixed, especially when you arent sure of their genders!
And I really hope you dont give up the female. When I got my boy Smudge fixed last summer, it ended up being over $360. The surgery itself was only $210, but since he is older I wanted alot of presurgical work done to make sure it was safe.
Im 15 and I dont have a job, so I had a garage sale, saved up birthday money, babysat, and drew pictures of peoples pets to raise money. After a couple months, I had enough money.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Cool

I know, I know. But the pet store that sold me the bunny told me it was a girl, so i went out and got a girl bunny for her to play with, then i found out the one from the pet store that they said was a girl was a boy . and right when they atrted doing it i seperated them, i obviusly did not let them sit there and do that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
is a little "special"

You really can never trust pet stores on sexing any animals, especially young buns. If you even get another rabbit, make sure to get it sexed by the vet before you even think about introducing it to your other rabbits. Or even better, adopt an already fixed rabbit from a shelter or rescue. New rabbits should be quarentined too to make sure they dont have anything that can be passed on to the other buns.

Hows it going with the female? Have you decided what you are going to do with her yet?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

, I want to keep her, she is so nice and beautiful ! But I am going to try to find her a loving home, I promise I will not just let anyone take her, && I will call the pet store and yell at them too, its not fair to people or rabbits,.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
is a little "special"

If you really want to keep her, some rescues and shelters might help you get her an emergency spay at a discount if you explain the situation.
And if you adopt her out or give her to a shelter, make sure to tell them that she might be preggo!
Good luck

Tags
bunny