Sad news about Oreo :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sad news about Oreo :(

Hi all

I posted last week about my rabbit Oreo......she had a prolapsed rectum and had to have a little operation to stitch it back.

Well this morning it's happened again but the vet has said that she now needs to be put to sleep. I'm trying to find out as much info as I can about this condition before I make the decision to put her down. Can anyone help? If there's any way we can avoid this I'd be so happy but I obviosly don't want her to suffer. I'm feeling so sad right now, we've only had our buns a few short weeks but I already love them to bits.

Jo x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so so sorry about your news

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Rodentologist

That's really tough. I've never heard of a rabbit having a prolapsed rectum before, and can't find much information on it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
can't think of one, help

So sorry to hear your news. Hugs

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww i'm so sorry huge hugs to you and Oreo i hope you can find another solution rather than having to put poor lil Oreo to sleep :o( xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry that Oreo isn't doing too well at the moment. Of course we don't want her to suffer, but hopefully there will be another solution other than putting her to sleep. Is your vet rabbit savvy? It is possible that a vet who took special training specifically for rabbits would know more solutions to treat this kind of problem in rabbits. I googled prolapsed rectum in rabbits and found a message posted by a bunny care taker who has a bunny with the same problem yours is having now. I've copied and pasted what she posted, how she was handling the problem. I hope it can be useful to you.

"I had a litter of babies come in a month ago in which one had a prolapsed rectum. With pain relief and bathing in salt water I was able to get it back in and she was alright for a few weeks although in the meantime it happened to another of the litter. The vet put hers back in and suggested a dose of steroids if it happened again. The second one has not had a repeat, but the original one has. She has been on a high dose of steroids for a week now, every time I reduce them out it comes. She has had an op to place purse string stitches in which helped for a few days but once the steroid was reduced it came out again anyway and now the stitches have come out, yesterday of course. I got it back in yet again and have had to increase the steroids, but that is not ideal. She and the rest of the litter (6 in all) are on a course of Septrin in case it is coccidioisis and panacur in case of pinworm. The whole litter were very stunted, the rest now are growing noticably every day, leaving the little doe with the prolapse behind, although she is eating well and has normal lovely poo. She weighs less than 500g, the others just over. They gobble A&P and readigrass and hay and drink huge quantities.
The only ref I could find to prolapsed rectums in my rabbit books was in reference to coccidiosis, hence the Septrin. The vet said pinworms could cause it, hence the panacur.
It looks to me as if the whole litter have a slightly misshaped anus that lets this happen more easily although I think each prolapse is caused by swelling as the steroid has caused it to go back in on its own a couple of times. I suspect that infection has set in in the origional little doe (Tara) which is why it keeps repeating. It had been out for a few days before she was brought to me and was hugely swollen at that time. She initially had a short course of baytril, cautiously and not a long one as it is not good for imature animals.
She is lively and only looks in pain while it is out. As soon as I get it back in she is lively and happy again and eats well. While she remains so I don't want to give up. Has anyone else found a reference to this happening?"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thankyou so much for finding that info Hikari.......it gives me at least a bit of hope that I may be able to save her. She doesn't seem to be any pain at the moment and is eating and drinking well, she still seems to be able to poo too tho I don't know if that would be painful for her. It makes the decision so much harder when she appears otherwise healthy and, at the moment ,happy. I'm certainly going to wait for the time being and see how she goes and try to keep the prolapse as clean as possible.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes xx

Jo x
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

No problem. I'm glad I was able to help. I would get a second opinion from another vet if I were you. Maybe go online and check for exotic animal vets in your area. That's how I found the one I currently take my bunny to since my local vet didn't know anything about rabbits, and their internal workings are so much different than cats or dogs. The clinic is an hour away from me, but the doctors are really good with bunnies. You could discuss with your vet what the person in that post tried with her bunny. Hopefully something will help.

If she's eating fine, that's a good sign. Often a bunny will go into GI Stasis (stop eating completely) when they're really sick. If she does stop eating, there's always that Critical Care stuff.

Best of luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I hope you can find a solution. I agree that you should call around other rabbit savvy vets for their opinion. Maybe call a vet school and see if there is anything that is new and cutting edge that could help her.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
prolapse, sleep