Safe for bunnies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Safe for bunnies?

I'm full of questions and posts apparently.

So in general, Linus doesn't smell, obviously. And I've been really on top of cleaning his cage so there's no waste smells either, but I do find that the hay smell -- although not bad -- is pretty pervasive.

I was thinking of putting a little glade plug-in on the other side of the room just to kind of help so that my room doesn't just smell like hay all the time, but would that be safe? I didn't know if it would affect his health via his respiratory system or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, I love the smell of hay. It smells like tea IMO.

I have a couple air fresheners in my room, but I wouldn't get the kind that actually sprays stuff into the air. I usually use the little cone ones like these:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Poooooppp!

I do the same thing Jess, I thought about plug-ins too, but I think that these other ones might be safer. The only thing is my buns really like how they smell and they often try to lick them so I have to make sure I put them out of reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

i use a cone also! It seems to do the job safely

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Betta Bomb

I agree with above posters. Spray and plug-in air "fresheners" are toxic and harmful.. Just last week my roommate plugged one into the spare room (where Kaysh likes to hide under the bed) and the stink is atrocious. We had to leave the door open just to diffuse the strength but it's still just too powerful. Now imagine a bunny living in the same room! lol I would avoid those like the plague.

The cone ones are not as strongly scented. I don't like the smell of them either, I burn incense every couple of days with the door and window open. I, too, enjoy the smell of hay.. I'm allergic to it but I think it smells like chamomile tea
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks guys. I'll go with the cone then.

Turns out the hay isn't even what I was smelling -- I investigated closer and you're right, it does smell like tea!

It's actually his litter. I use a combination of recycled paper pellets (for his litter) and carefresh, and I don't know what it is, I'm just not super fond of the paper pellets' smell. It might be just because I have a super sensitive nose.

Either way, I'll be venturing out to get some cones tomorrow!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Betta Bomb

Since he's not neutered his pee smells strong (I never had a male before but I'm pretty sure that's what it is... It'll go away after neutering) I've used Yesterday's News pellets before and looooved it! Never got into carefresh for my bunnies but I found it sucked up hamster odors really well. All I use now is sheets of newspaper. Acacia doesn't smell and I dump it every week. I guess it's all across the boards, Boys just stink!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Poooooppp!

When I first got my buns I used carefresh and had the same issue, I've switched to feline pine (original), which is safe for buns and it's great! it's soooooo much better and cheaper

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 PM
is a little "special"

I LOVE Feline Pine! Best litter I've ever used.
Stupid Target stopped selling it though, so I had to go back to the Fleet Farm pellets instead. They still work well, but Feline Pine smells nicer IMO.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Poooooppp!

what? really? I get my feline pine from Target (usually) and Petco carries it too, it's $8 for a huge bag @ Target, I love it! it does a great job of keeping the smell down.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
is a little "special"

Well, apparently the Target here doen't sell it anymore. I used to get the big bags like that too, but at the 2nd Target I went to there were only two little 10lb bags left, and they were $10 each!

Tags
health, odor control, rabbits, smell