Is it safe to keep a litter box outside? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Is it safe to keep a litter box outside?

So, Smudge hasnt been outside since last fall (hes currently living in my garage) and Im in the process of totally redoing and cleaning out his hutch so he can be out during the day when its nice out.
I used to have most it solid flooring, except for the part he went to the bathroom in, wich was wire so it could fall through.
I would rather just have the whole floor covered with solid flooring, so I was wondering... Would it be safe to use a litter box outside? I have OCD when it comes to cleaning my cages, so obviously it would be changed everyday and kept clean. I just worry that it would attract bugs. With out the litterbox, theres always a little bit that collects in the corner of the wire anyway, so I dont think it would be much different, but Im just making sure. Rather be safe than sorry! So what does everyone think??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

first up...is the garage free of cars as residual fumes from car engines exhausts etc can cause respiratory problems in buns.
wire floor on cgaes are cruel but still widley used in some places..it makes their feet sore and they cannot get to their cecal pelelts to eat them if they too drop through.
i owuld definatly give a litter tray a plastic hi backed one is best..solid flooring is best for buns..you can use wood covered in remnants of lino flooring.....and self adhesive vinyl floor tiles from cheap shops.

having ocd how do oyu cope with the pets!!

bunnies apprecaite having a tray with some form of cat litter like yesterdays news in the bottom with maybe a fine straw covering and mounds of hay..they do enjoy eating and pooping at the same time

"I've Been Boo'd"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I suggest a wooden or metal litter box as chewing it can cause problems if plastic.

but yea, it is safe. since you clean every day bugs won't be able to hang out long in the box of straw.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

A lot of people use plastic litter boxes for rabbits - as long as they don't actually eat it it's fine. I've used plastic litter boxes for my rabbits as long as I've had rabbits and they never chew it more then a tiny tiny bit. I replace my boxes usually at least once a year and even after that much time they will have usually no or very little damage from being chewed. Also wouldn't wooden boxes just soak up the pee and smell bad? You'r not suppose to use treated wood with rabbits in case they chew the wood and I don't think untreated wood would last very long being peed on every day.
If they bite metal they can damge their teeth, plus I've never seen a place that sold metal litter boxes.
Just make sure to give them other stuff to chew on (my bunnies loooove unpeeled willow and wooden hides) and, at least in my experience, they will choose those over the plastic.
Of course if you notice your rabbit is actually chewing the plastic a lot then it might be best to find something else, but I've never had that problem.

But annyways, yeah, I wouldn't think that a litter box would attract bugs any more than the set up you already have, as long as you keep it nice and clean I hope Smudge enjoys his new cage set up!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebumble View Post
first up...is the garage free of cars as residual fumes from car engines exhausts etc can cause respiratory problems in buns.
wire floor on cgaes are cruel but still widley used in some places..it makes their feet sore and they cannot get to their cecal pelelts to eat them if they too drop through.
i owuld definatly give a litter tray a plastic hi backed one is best..solid flooring is best for buns..you can use wood covered in remnants of lino flooring.....and self adhesive vinyl floor tiles from cheap shops.

having ocd how do oyu cope with the pets!!

bunnies apprecaite having a tray with some form of cat litter like yesterdays news in the bottom with maybe a fine straw covering and mounds of hay..they do enjoy eating and pooping at the same time

My garage has cars, but I almost always keep the garage door open, so there is plenty of fresh air.
And I do NOT use wire! I cover it with SOLID flooring, so it wont hurt his feet. Everything is covered with linolium flooring and carpeting (hes doesnt chew it).
I doent really have OCD. I was just saying that I like keeping my cages super clean.
Not trying to be rude Purplebumble, but I think you should read posts more carefully. This is getting really off topic...

Ive used plastic litterboxes for years, and Smudge isnt much of a chewer, but he has plenty of toys to chew if feel the urge. Metal and wood litterboxes would be disgusting IMO.

Thanks Dragonrain! Ill post pics when its all set up.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

HUH?
im sorry im thinlk weve got our wires crossed!!
no i wasnt insinuating you were keeping on wire floors..but i know many folks do and they go to posts which sound similar to something theyre trying to look up too.
its a force of habit..im from the uk and on some bun forums you really have to overstate the obvious and im obviously still on that mode of thinking..my apologies i had nooo wish to offend.
yep i guess its cos i couldnt sleep and weve just lost a little bun we rescued from being dumped at the vets..its not a thing i didnt think i could cope with..a bun on borrowed time but it stil was a shock.
my brains adlded obviously...apologies again.
i have high sided triangular as well as rectangle hi back litter trays..but dont they always manage to turn round and tinkle over the edge the little bun we just lost didnt...and he wasnt neutered!

sorry honest! btw youd be shocked at the number of idiots who keep their buns in a garage with little or no ventilation and repair their cars and motorcycles with the bun still there..honest..its awful..guess im used to dealing with too many of those idiots too

"I've Been Boo'd"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

just had a thought..if theres room what about a small cat carrier..the plastic ones..remove the grill and hey presto easy to clean outdoor litter box...i did that with a doggie one for my french lops..the old boy loved it but the doe insisted on digging every last scrap of litter etc out!!

"I've Been Boo'd"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, sorry! Im not in a very good mood, and since some people kinda pick on the people who have to keep their buns outside, I tend to get kinda defensive LOL. Sorry!
Its good that you are trying to educate people that really are idiots though.
Aww, poor lil bun! Im getting my Smudge fixed next month, so Im really nervous about that too!
BTW, try cutting the corner out of a milk jug and taping it to the corner of the litter box that your bun pees over. That way they cant back up over it... Smudge used to have the same problem, but that fixed it.
And I really like the the cat carrier idea! I think I will use it as a shelter instead of a litter box, but I hadnt thought of that before. Thanks!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

I wanted to use an enclosed litter box for my trio. Berry apperently started digging her litter while they where in the foster home before I got them - She got Ziggy doing it, and now Barnaby does it too.

But anyway, I asked about it on another site, and a few people said that they tried using enclosed cat boxes and it really held in the smell and then the bunnies refused to use it. I guess it would work for some people, but I decided not to try - with three bunners all using the same box I could see it getting bad pretty fast. Instead I got one of those plastic boxes that has a grate on the bottom, so they can't get to the litter.

I think we definatly need some pictures of Smudge soon!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My rabbits are outside and I use plastic litter boxes. They don't chew on them, but maybe I am just lucky. I give them two litter boxes in a 3' x 4' area. I put hay on top, and they chew the hay instead of the box. They poop in the middle and eat the hay around the edge of the box, so they don't eat soiled hay. With two boxes, I can pull the dirty one out and dump it when I am in a hurry, and they still have one box left.

I am also trying out Perma-guard, a non-toxic flour substance that acts as a dewormer that I mix in with their pellets. It comes out in their poop, so it is supposed to reduce the fly problem. It is pretty cheap, but I haven't been using it long enough to know how well it works on flies. It did get rid of their internal parasites.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry, i didn't know your smudge had a litter box before. Farm stores sell metal ones... i don't see why a litter box would be an issue if he is used to one already

[/CENTER]

Tags
rabbit litter box outside