Safe toys for buns? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

View Poll Results: Do your bunnies have toys in their cages?
yes 6 66.67%
no 1 11.11%
...cage? 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Safe toys for buns?

Ever since the whole ordeal with henry I've been weary about putting any toys into his cage. I dont want him to chew any plastic or fabric off and ingest it so I'm holding off on putting toys into his cage. Is the only solution to always supervise him when theres toys in there, or is there some safe things I can get for him? He used to have a rubber kong ball and a little cat toy that crinkled and rattled, but I took them both out. I noticed he was nibbling on the kong so I wont be putting that back in! Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

Give him toys where it won't matter if he chews on them. Flash has a piece of wood in his cage, along with a towel that he likes to dig in. Phone books are another favorite of his, so I sometimes put on in his cage for him to sit and shred. I just like to provide him with something to do during the day when I'm not around.

--Fromper
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

one that our vet suggested, but if someone on here disagrees PLEASE let me know... lucy has a set of those plastic jingly keys that babies play with. they are really cheap and you can get them anywhere. she loves flipping them in the air and stuff, but since they are meant to be chewed, they should be okay.

cardboard and wood are the best so far though. tough and disposable!

George orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Will he play with cardboard boxes? Barnaby loooves them! I cut holes in them for him to go inside. Sometimes I put hay or treats inside them and close them, so he has to get them open to get the food. So boxes for him are a place to hide/sleep, something to chew on, and treat dispensors. He'll even just play with a plain old empty box, trying to move it around his cage and chewing on it.

I asked my vet if it was okay if he ate the pieces of cardboard he chewed off - because he does eat it. My vet said that as long as he's still eating his hay too, and there is no ink on the box, that it shouldn't be a problem if he eats some.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Will he play with cardboard boxes? Barnaby loooves them! I cut holes in them for him to go inside. Sometimes I put hay or treats inside them and close them, so he has to get them open to get the food. So boxes for him are a place to hide/sleep, something to chew on, and treat dispensors. He'll even just play with a plain old empty box, trying to move it around his cage and chewing on it.

I asked my vet if it was okay if he ate the pieces of cardboard he chewed off - because he does eat it. My vet said that as long as he's still eating his hay too, and there is no ink on the box, that it shouldn't be a problem if he eats some.
Yeah, it's perfectly healthy. Cardboard and paper are high in fiber. Everyone should eat more of them.

--Fromper
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

lol fromper. Thanks guys. I like the idea of putting treats in a box and closing it up. I'll try it when his tummy gets better.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Yeah, it's perfectly healthy. Cardboard and paper are high in fiber. Everyone should eat more of them.

--Fromper

YUMMY!! I had my daily box today... Did you?

Smudge isnt very much into eating his toys (he only destroys my stuff, not his), but he has a flip n toss, stuffed elephant, knibbler not, 2 hanging toys with bells, and some fleece blankets in his hutch. I have another assortment of toys for floortime use too- some dog toy rope toys, one of those wierd plastic ball thigs that lil kids love (its hard to explain) a couch... Theres probably more xD.
Theres also a whole bin on the garage of toys Im not currently using...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I give them toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls. I have cut the cardboard and folded it out to "flower" it. I have also heard they are good to stuff with hay and treats as well. They have plastic cat balls with bells in them - but the heavier plastic ones so they cannot get the bells out. Ollie, like Flash, has a piece of wood. We have also bought them the cardboard tubes that are used for concrete forms. They like to run through. Penelope has a "castle" made out of cardboard boxes.
They have some wood toys that are sold in the bunny section at PetSmart.
Teddy has a baby toy that is like the baby keys.
The boys seem to like things they can pick up and throw or drop to make a loud noise.
And wicker laundy baskets can be fun for them to hide in.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks guys, lots of great ideas. I'm pretty sure Henry isn't even talking to me right now because I keep having to force feed him his medicine. He is not fond of it.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 PM
zen
Newborn Pup

Ms. Bun is in love with those wicker balls they sell at the pet store; I found some online in bulk which is good because she'll chew through one in a day! I also bought her some timothy grass things- a tunnel, a mat & a basket. She's shredding them but not as fast as the wicker, at all, she usually just runs in after I clean her cage & chews all of those once then doesn't again until the next time.

She also has a ball made of wooden pieces fitted together & some pieces of stuff that's like hole-y cactus skeleton (if that makes any sense at all). She ignores those & her mineral toys completely.

I read in another post about blankets & so I made her a few from some really sturdy fleece I have a ton of, she doesn't play with them much but does love to stretch out on them or push them in front of her hidey-spot (so she's REALLY hiding). Fleece is nice because you can just cut it to size, though if she was more of a chewer I don't know if it'd work. She has never shredded them at all though.

My last bun loved cardboard tubes more than anything else, which was nice because they were free, lol....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've tried the cardboard tube thing with Flash, but he doesn't like them much. I hold them up to his face, and he grabs them and shoves them aside. If I bring them back into his face, he gets annoyed and starts grunting. I don't think he's just playing - I think he really does want those things out of his face.

--Fromper
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Betta Bomb

most definettly leave boxes and old books in. Akina is still learning to play but Acacia especially loves baby rattles and we toss them back and forth together she loves to hear the jingle of them !!! i also found stuffing a box with a blankie is a great way to relieve cage boredom b/c they can dig in it, reaarange it and make a little bed -add some treats to make them wild!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Playful Pup

What about magazines? Are glossy magazines OK for buns to shred/probably eat?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Betta Bomb

i give mine old phone books and a newfoundland classified mag called buy and sell which both has a semi-gloss cover. they love love love to shred it all up and make big mess for mommy to see in the morning......ahh well-i still love them