Scary - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Exclamation Scary

In my rabbit Henry's litter box, I use "Yesterdays News" litter. When I went to a blog (sue D's) I read that some people have found staples and plastic and other objects in their litter. Henry sometimes likes to eat the litter, so this freaked me out. I wont be buying OR using this again..eeeek..
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/mor...erdaynews.html

see for yourself. I don't know how reliable that link is but it convinced me! I was considering putting a grate over his box but I think I'll just figure something different out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

My sister has used Yesterday's News for her bunnies for at least a decade, and I've never heard of anything like that. We don't have YN available in my area, so I don't use it, though I actually wanted to when I first got Flash, because that's what my sister recommended.

--Fromper
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 AM

From what I understand, if you use a grate in your box, keeping your bun out of the litter completely, it does not pose a danger, since they can't eat the pellets.

I did quite a bit of research on it and from my conclusion, it is true, but as I said, with a grate, it will work.

I will try to find a link to one of the boxes that I recommend. It assures that your bun will not be able to get to the litter itself....

I'll be back this afternoon, after some research...and after work!

-Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen that link before. Personally I've never found anything like that in Yesterday's News myself (and I started looking for it after I saw the link). I do use a litter box with a grate on top though so Barnaby can't get to his litter.

This is the litter box I've been using:
http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/mercha...de=2LitterPans

It has a plastic piece on the front that locks down the grate so Barnaby can't get it off and get to his litter.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Hello Earthling

I've found pieces of some sort of red plastic in the cat litter (same thing)

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

I personally have never experienced this problem, As I live in the UK I don't have stapled newspapers, just paper folded together, If you continue to use this newspaper just be very careful that their isn't any staples just incase, Rabbits are very fragile (that way) like you would pat a dog - Can't with a rabbit, personally I would just use a newspaper that doesn't have newspapers...

Jamie
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Sorry, I double posted

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 12-10-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Double Posted
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Jamie, "Yesterdays News" is a type of litter here in the States. It is recycled paper and as we find out, other things...It is reportedly mostly gathered from floors, and everything and anything is swept up and recycled. Hence, the plastic, staples, unknown foreign objects, which have been found in the litter.

It's not dangerous, so long as you are able to keep your bunny from eating it. That is the primary reason why we are suggesting using a grate to keep your bun out of the litter and unable to digest it. Otherwise it is a great litter and furthermore, recycled!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM

That picture of Barnaby is so cute
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Those that have a grate on the litter box - do you put hay on top of it? I have never noticed my buns eating the litter. Maybe because I use wood stove pellets? I guess they don't like the taste. Belle on the other hand was happily munching on a couple of pieces that dropped on the floor. I had to shoo her away.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM

No, you don't put hay on it, unless you want to. Your bunnies may be cautious of the new grate, so putting a bit of hay on it would help, I would think, to get them on there, if it seems to be a problem. But since they aren't in the box standing for long periods of time the wire won't damage their feet. That's my experience, perhaps others here have other advice?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Betta Bomb

VERY interesting indeed..sheds light on a topic i was definetly not aware- fortunatly both my bunnies dont eat the litter, they eat the hay that i spread on top. but this is a serious issue, not only for bunny parents but for cat owners as well, since this product is intially developed for cats. my bag of yesterdays news says its from nestle complany in Switzerland. so i dont know where they get the stuff. but ive been using it since i got Acacia and have never found anything more than a twig in it. this is unfortunate, i hope nobody's bunners were hurt sriously as a result, did you know the company makes litter especially for bunnies? it only comes in a 10 pound bag so that no good but maybe its a different texture or something?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Nope, I tried the rabbit and cat versions and they are both exactly the same. The packaging is diffrent, and the rabbit version is more expensive - but other that that the pellets are the same (unless they've changed it recently).

Quote:
That picture of Barnaby is so cute
Thanks!!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Betta Bomb

ive seen it in walmart in a tiny bag with their poor excuses for safe bunny products. then the huge cat version .... what a marketing scheme eh? people no doubt had a demand for it otherwise it wouldnt be available. what a waste of money since you have to change the litter every day!! that rabbit stuff would last an hour for 1 of my boxes
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:37 AM

we don't use yesterdays nooz.... we just use the same carefresh and a layer of hay. i was using softsorb for a bit, but i think it has something in it that could be bad if ingested. lucy doesn't eat her litter though, just the hay.