Scent glands - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure this has been asked lots before, but i'm still a newbie! I keep reading that I must check Berties anal scent glands, and clean them out.
I've tried to find them, but he's not at all happy about me looking.

I'd really appreciate some help with this. How do I.....
.find them
.Clean them & what with
.Keep Bertie calm

and how often should they be cleaned.

Thanks in anticipation
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I found Tabby's but that was only because her tush would get dirty and I had to give her bunny butt baths. I was trying to get poo out of her fur one day and happen across them. I read about it so I knew what they were. I believe they were on either side of her anus. With her since she was already wet I just used my fingers and a wash cloth. It was gross but I did a lot of gross things for her.
I believe you are supposed to use Qtips with warm water to clean it out. On Tabby I found crusty stuff in there. It smelled really bad.
I want to try it on the girls because they keep letting off their "stink butts" in response to my attempts to bonding them.
Good luck with Bertie.
Have you posted any pics?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks KathyD, that's a great help. I'm probably not going to get him wet, but I'll just have to try a bit harder, although I'm not looking forward to it at all!
Do you know how often they should be cleaned?

You'll find pics of Bertie here

Thanks again,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM

I am not really sure how often they need to be cleaned. I washed Tabby's whenever I had to give her a bunny butt bath. Which was pretty often.

I love the pics and the site. The link to the other site is very informative. I cannot wait to try some nose wiggles!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
I love the pics and the site. The link to the other site is very informative. I cannot wait to try some nose wiggles!
You'll love the nose wiggles! I'm sure it may help with the touching/stroking issue with Oliver and Ophelia. What I did was spent as often as possible wiggling over a week, even if it was just 5 mins. here n there, laying on the floor with my arms back & out of sight.
After that I moved forward with my nose. Eventually, Bertie let me go nose to nose. Then I started to stroke his head with my nose, from his nose to his ears. I did that for a couple more weeks, then eventually, and very slowly replaced the nose with a finger and then a hand.

It took time and patience, but it has so paid off.
Bertie isn't bonded though, so I don't know if that may affect things for your two or not.
Good luck and thanks for the helpful info so far.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

I plucked up the courage and did it, laying Bertie on his back in a towel. He was remarkebly calm about it. The glands took a bit of finding, but the cotton swab got the gunk out, I had to hold my breath, UUuurgghh!!
Glad it's over!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM

I know I really need to do that. I tried last week with Penelope but there is just so much fur! I wound up getting scratched. Then again everrytime I pick her up I get myself scratched. I wonder what people are thinking about me lately with my arms all scratched up!
Oh and I can nose on Penelope like you said above. She LOVES it. I usually cannot get Oliver and Ophelia to let me get that close and not hop off. They are so not interested in me. I did notice their interest increased last night after I gave them some of my peach. Suddenly mommy was very interesting.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM

I've had to clean Jackpots, i used unscented baby oil and a Q-tip to do it. Baby oil is amazing at getting caked on 'ickies' from a bunnies sensitive areas.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 PM

I had no idea tehey had them !!!

As a dog owner especially the pugs , they are also prone to anal gland issues , naturally they should release themselves but often dont when doing number two's i do my own so luckily that keeps the vet visits down.

Do they use this gland for anything particular at all and why to express ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

They use the scent to cover their droppings. This then marks their territory. I guess in the wild they use them much more than in the home, so maybe that's why they have excess. I guess the same goes for dogs!

Tags
vet visit, vet visits