Scented Bedding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Question Scented Bedding?

Today turbo ran out of bedding and i sent granny (my mom) to get some more on her way home from work. She called from in the store asking if i would like lavander or rose bedding since his cage made my room a little stinky (he was long overdue for a cage cleaning ... i just knew i had little bedding )

I was wondering if scented bedding would bother a dwarf bunny.
He's a netherland dwarf to those who plan on researching.
from what i hear, dwarf bunnies and other small breeds are different from regular sized buns.

is it safe, or no?

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Hello Earthling

I would go with normal unscented bedding. You don't know what their using to make the scent and the chemicals could potentially harm your rabbit if he ingests it, or possibly affect his respiratory system.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 AM

I freely admit to being overparanoid - I won't even feed Holly commercial treats. Pine and cedar are natural and the aromatic oils are still bad for small animals, so I would avoid anything with added scents. Then again, he eschews bedding - the first day I had him I put hay in the little house in his cage and about the first thing he did was pull it all out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't really say that dwarf bunnies are diffrent from other breeds other than their sizes and general personalities. All rabbits require pretty much the same amount of care and what's bad for one breed is usually bad for them all.

I don't use sented bedding - just plain Yesterday's News has been what works best for me. I saw some discussion online about those new sented beddings that said that since both lavender and rose are safe plants for rabbits to eat, that the bedding should be ok. I don't have any personal experience and haven't done any research on it though, since I don't plan on ever using them.

The best way to keep the cage/litter box from getting stinky is cleaning it out often. My rabbits all together have 3 litter boxes and I clean them all out twice a week. If you run out of bedding and need to clean the litterbox, you can temporarily use things like old newspaper or the paper bags that you get groceries in.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

THATS A PERFECT IDEA!! idk why i never thought of it before! using news paper, and like we don't have enough laying arond here

Turbo Bunny

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I don't know much about rabbits but scented bedding is VERY strong. I picked some up out of curiosity for the rats and I dumped their cage like 5 minutes after I put the bedding in. They also ate the little flower pieces and I didn't think that was safe.

I used newspaper and covered it with fleece. The newspaper helped absorb the pee piddles. Of course when I did that I only had one rat and cleaned out the newspaper everyday.

I hope I was a little help as I know nothing about bunnies

*Missy*
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

haha thanks for the advise and aw your rats sound precious!
its pretty much the same in this case. newspaper and strong scented flowery bits

Turbo Bunny

Tags
bedding, lavander