Scented litter box? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Scented litter box?

Since we don't live by a large pet store, I had my mom pick up a litter pan for Drizzt... but she got a scented plastic one??? Didn't even know those existed... I'm thinking I shouldn't try using it, because I'm afraid there may be yucky chemicals in the plastic and I don't want him chewing on it. I'm also afraid he won't like the smell... any ideas?

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”

George orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Hmm...since buns tend to chew on the plastic of the litter box I am not sure if that would be too good. Maybe you could contact the maker of the litter box or call the vet.
In the mean time maybe you could use a cardboard box with something under it so the pee doesn't go through?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks kathdip, i think i'm just gonna get a new litter pan. in the meantime, we NEED to start training, so i'm gonna use shoebox lids with plastic underneath them. and i think i'm gonna use the pan my mom bought (its got a nice fruity smell) to organize my panty drawer. heehee

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”

George orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Playful Pup

You should try get the litter pans with tops on them. I have the open top litter pan and whenever Nino jumps out, she sprays all over the wall so I have to clean it up
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

better to stay it away from your buns, just to make sure..

|
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Betta Bomb

you shouldnt use clay based litters anyway. a bunny can eat it via hay and it can clump up in the intestines!!
i use Yesterday's News which is recycled newspaper pellets which absorb any odors , and if ingested can pass through the intestines. i buy mine at Sobeys for like 15 $ which lasts quite a while. check out to see if a grocery store near you carries it?

As for those dispsosable cat litter boxes,i sell alot of them at work and i see them as unnecessary since it takes a total of like 10 minutes to clean out the litter box?? (i dont know since i dont man the litter boxes here) anyway,i wouldnt buy them for the cats..i know this has nothing to do wih bunnies but thought i should add it

Anyway,good luck training the little one!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It didn't have litter in it, and I know not to use kitty litter. It was just a scented, bright pink, plastic pan. I got a different one and some safe- for- bunny litter. So far he only seems to go in his cage, except for the odd pellet or two, and oddly enough seems to prefer peeing in/ near his hay supply (except for one little accident on the couch on day one). i'm moving things around to try and stop that.

“
”

George orwell
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ps Purplehops, I hate those disposable pans, too. :-) Had one when I had an injured stray living in my spare bathroom for about a week until the shelter had room for him... picked the thing up to move it, heard a little snap... litter and cat poop all over the floor. :-P

“
”

George orwell
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Buns like to do their business while nibbling on hay - that is probably why he is peeing near the hay. What you should do is put the hay on top of the bunny litter. I know it sounds really gross but that is what buns do. I read that they don't eat the hay they piddle on. So make sure there is plenty of hay in the box for him.
My buns have hay in their boxes and I have one hanging ball in Ollie and Ophelia's room that has hay in it. Jay often walks by Penelope's room and sees her nibbling away while in her box.
I put fresh hay in their boxes every morning and night. I clean the boxes 3 times a week. Each bun has a litter box.
You can also use bunner poo in your garden. No composting needed. I don't because I know my dogs would just get in the garden and eat it all!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh sorry,i thought by plastic pan you meant the disposeable ones-

general rule is HAY,HAY,HAY
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Purplehops- it's okay, i mean, i'm sort of confused by the concept. a scented chemically treated pan can't be good for any animal, can it? cats never chew or anything, but it just seems weird. one of those things that was invented for finicky owners, not for pets.

“
”

George orwell
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Betta Bomb

oh yeah like alot of products these days! *rolls eyes* some are beneficial and others arent.oh my,i guess you have to use better judgement and not snatch things up cause they're pretty
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Part of the Pack

I'm sure you get the idea I use yesterdays news for litter too, and its so cheap and safe and recycled and works great! I have henry's hay rack hanging beside his litter box and he snacks while he poo's and some of it falls into the box as well.

give your love no matter what.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Part of the Pack

I think a scented litterbox for buns is a terrible idea! Obviously made up as a money making scheme. Kind of like pine!! The smell is there for our convenience not the animals health Someone should really regulate what goes into the making of pet products. They should have some sort of committee that evaluates the products before they hit the shelves.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Betta Bomb

i wish it was that easy

Tags
litter box