Serious Rabbit Bullying - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Serious Rabbit Bullying

Hi guys,
For several days I have been noticing that there was a lot of clumps of one of my rabbits' hair around their cage (as they are outside rabbits). About an hour and a half ago I actually saw the reason why this is happening..
My other rabbit is growling and biting off the hair from my other rabbit. Also, I have noticed that they rabbit who is being attacked stays in a certain part of the cage almost all the time now while the other rabbit sits outside the door..

It was really vicious what I saw (and I unfortunately managed to be nipped by the rabbit when I was trying to get the other rabbit out of there..)

What should I do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

How old are the two rabbits, and what gender?

How long have they been together?

Are either or both of them fixed?

You should probably seperate them for now until things are figured out, and you can try to rebond them later. Two seperate cages right next to each other is probably best - so they can still see and smell each other, but can't fight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Michelle is right you need to separate them. Bunny fights are nasty! I know I am trying to bond bunnies now and the other night things got bad. I was quick enough I didn't sustain any injuries grabbing the one bunny. Of course when I first started bonding my girls I was not as lucky and still have a scar on my finger.
If they are not neutered or spayed you should get them done. It does help. Since they were already friends and are now fighting I am guessing that hormones are the problem. I look forward to you letting me know if I am correct.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I was thinking too - probably those evil bunny hormones kicking in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hey, yeah I'm suspecting hormones are the problem since the aggressive one also seems to be attempting to do the 'deed'..

They're both female and about 10 months old and have been together since birth I believe. They haven't been 'fixed', mainly because my parents don't really want to have to pay the very expensive vet fees here in australia..

I separated them for a few hours and since then they seem to have been a bit better (according to my mum since I go to school), however there still seems to be a bit of hair coming out..
It's a little confusing as sometimes they seem to be getting along very well, and other times one becomes aggressive.

Do you think they may sort it out between themselves?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I would really suggest you try to get them both fixed. I know it can be very expensive so it stinks buuut them both being females their is a much higher chance they will get cancer if they remain unfixed, which will be much more expensive in the long run.

Also, unspayed females are usually much more cage territorial then spayed females, or males. That could be what's going on with your girls - the dominate female is fighting the other one over territory. They probably won't sort it out themselves anytime soon and I wouldn't keep them together if they're fighting because they could really hurt each other if they get into a bad fight.

So I guess at this point, if there is no way you can get them spayed then I would just keep them in seperate cages. If you do get them fixed, then you can try to rebond them later on.

Good luck!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM

The one woman at work (just referenced her in my last post) had all her bunnies separated. She said they fought if they were together.
Also the girls are all passing away now that they are about 5 years old.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, nothing seems to be getting better.. I will ask my neighbour how much it costs at the vet clinic she works at to get them spayed.. I'm really worried :S
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck!

Where do you live? Maybe I could help suggest some rabbit vets in your area? Or you could take a look at the house rabbit societys vet list for your state.

Veterinarian Listings

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks. Well, I live in Victoria, Australia. I asked one vet their price and that was $136 AU each. I'm going to ask around a few more though to compare prices.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 PM

I just looked at the conversion rate and I think that is a pretty good price if you were in the US. I am not sure what vet care is in Australia. Just make sure you get one that knows bunnies well. It is worth a little more for a real bunny savvy vet.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Newborn Pup

bunnys fighting

that means that they are both males. then you need to separate them as soon as possible as they can kill each other. with the one that has been getting picked on just put neosporin on any of his little wounds and he should be alright.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Newborn Pup

okay if they are both girls then it is a dominance thing and they need to be separated. you can put them in cages right next to each other but you don't absolutely have to.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if the cages are too small they will probably still fight after being spayed. they need a very large enclosure

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Old post. The original post is from 2007, so hopefully the issue was solved long ago!

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbit society, rabbit society, seperate cages, vet care, vet clinic