Sew Some Cute Toys for Your Buns! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Talking Sew Some Cute Toys for Your Buns!

I found some instructions on how to make a cute "Snuggle Sack" on the Rabbits Online forum! Its SO cute, I thought I would share!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_to...90&forum_id=93

I made Smudge a Snuggle Sack, but I think hes scared of it. He wouldnt go in by himself, or even for a treat, so I put him in there face first, and he couldnt find the way out! I had to help him turn around so he could find the hole Poor thing. I think all of his "drugs" (hes been on a lot of meds lately, for those who dont know) are messing with his head!

I made him 2 hammocks too. The first one ended up too small, so Ill probably give it to the piggers.
The second one I made today is nice and big, and he isnt scared of it! He will go in to for treats, and he went in it once on his own too Haha, he tries to fluff it, which doesnt work very well on a suspended piece of fabric. I made this one in a triangle shape, and I dont think hes used to the un-stableness of it... Hopefully he will like it eventually!
And I tied some of the scraps into a huge knot, and made him a ball thingy to play with.

The sad truth is, my ungrateful bunny brat will probably never play with any of this stuff. But it was something to do LOL. I need a life

Pics will come eventually! I gotta eat some pizza now, LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Hello Earthling

Dang you need to be a member to see it !!!

Can't wait for pictures of what you made.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Oh, really? Oops.
Hold on a sec... Ill transfer everything here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Hello fellowbunns! I thought I'd share with you this tutorial on how to teach your hoomin to sew you a really fun tunnel/snuggle sack. It's really easy to teach them to do, plus it's great for you!

First, tell your hoomin to feed you a snack. When that's done, go to the big place they call the kitchen. Find a 2 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper.

Tell your hoomin they do not need that Dr. Pepper (or whatever it is your hoomin chooses to drink). Have them toss it down the sink, and if they won't do that, have them put it in one of their tall water bowl cup things. Rinse it out and peel off the label. DON'T EAT IT. Dry off the bottle.

Here comes the tricky part that you need thumbs for. Take a knife and poke a hole in the toppish part of the bottle. Then have your hoomin cut from that hole all they way around the bottle. Repeat for the bottom part so that you now have three parts: bottom, top, and middle.

Do whatever you want with the top and bottom. My hoomin gave the bottom to the rats to play with and threw away the top. Maybe your hoomin is more creative than mine and can do something with it.

Now have your hoomin take that middle part and cut down one side. Then cut the piece into two long strips. Your hoomin doesn't need to make it too straight or even too even, but it has to be close-ish.

Take the end of one strip and tape it the end of another. Basically you're making a big plastic circle with the strips. This part is hard for hoomins, even with thumbs. You may mock their efforts if you wish. I did.

If you're a full-figured bunn, you may have to use more than one bottle so you can have more strips, thus a bigger plastic ring.

It doesn't have to be pretty cuz no one is gonna see it when the snuggle sack is all done, trust me.

Now, go somewhere with a big enough workspace. My hoomin and me used the dining room table. Pick out some fleece of your favorite color and get it over to your work space. I like orange-y peach myself.

Now here comes the hard part. Your hoomin has to do a little measuring. If your hoomin likes exact stuff, too bad, I'm a bunny and I can't read numbers. But here is what my hoomin did:

-Measure around the circumference (?the what?) of your plastic ring. Add a 1/2 inch. This will be how wide your fabric needs to be cut. Let's say that equals 12.5 inches.

-Now measure how long you want your snuggle sack to be. This is totally up to you and how much room you want in your snuggle sack. You want to make sure that your plastic ring can be wrapped up in the fabric at least twice, and then consider your length from there. You can add 1/2 inch if you want an EXACT length, but otherwise there is no need. Let's say that equals 20.5 inches.

- Cut out a 12.5 x 20.5 inch rectangle. (But use your real measurements!)

Okay now that the hoomin has that much done, you should probably have another snack. It's a lot of hard work teaching hoomins stuff.

Okay done? Let's carry on.

Have your hoomin fold this rectangle in half so that one long side is a fold. Now the hoomin has to sew along one of the short ends and the other long side, leaving one short side open cuz you gotta get in their somehow okay? Then turn it right side out. If you're using fleece it's probably all right side so when your hoomin sews it in the first place, tell it not to worry about it. It will look like this:

Now have the hoomin take that plastic ring and slide the open end of the fabric through it. Then fold the fabric back so that the plastic is covered, and tuck it in under a little bit. If your hoomin wants, it can handstitch around the bottom of the plastic ring to make it stay better, but if you don't want to you don't have to. This way you can take out the ring and wash the fabric without having to tear stitches and then sew the ring back in.

VOILA! You have just taught your hoomin how to make a snuggle sack.

Your hoomin is gonna want you to try it out. Don't be shy. But do throw in a "Seriously?" look.

Hop in there, it's okay.

Don't get caught in a position where they can take a picture of you like this!

Once you get in there it's really nice. Trust me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**This tutorial was made by SunnyCait on Rabbits Online Forum, NOT by me!**

There, now everyone should be able to see it!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello Earthling

Yay!! Thanks. I made something similar to that but in rat/hamster size.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM

thats pretty cool.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

thats cool.. i didn't really read it much but the pics are cool

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

How neat! Wish I could sew
Isn't that last picture so cute!!!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Betta Bomb

Awesome!! Im wantiong to make two for my girls!! Akina is a total thumb pro, she can halp ^.^
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 AM
RAT ADDICT

Haha! Cute! The pictures and instructions are cute.
I could make one for the guinea pigs or even a ratty one! I don't have a bun.My sister was telling me about this yesterday! Thing is...I don't know how to sew!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Hello Earthling

Sewing is super easy and for something like the sack you hardly need any experience. Hand sewing is a lot of work, so if you could borrow a machine you'll get one done fast and better

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Betta Bomb

Maybe time will grant me the pleasantries someday
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Jess - this is really cool! I am going to have to find time to make one for the buns or really three of them! And like Smudge none of mine will appreciate it - well maybe Teddy he has two quilts that he burrows into.
Thanks for the post!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Lisa- Sewing is acually really easy! I didnt know how untill I made Smudges toys, and I did pretty good Does anyone you know have a sewing machine?

And Smudge acually likes his hammock! Its a miracle! Haha
I have some adorable pics of him sleeping in it Ill have to post

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hahahaha...nope! None of my friends have a sewing machine,not that I am aware of.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
bunny, rabbit, sew, toy