sexual frustration - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

sexual frustration

i don't really know what's going on with my bun. she seems agitated most of the time, showing erratic behavior lately.

for example she has this plush ball that's already her size and she keeps on biting it and humping it relentlessly. and when i try playing with her using that ball and what i usually do is slide it from left to right on her sides and she gets mad as **** she runs away and when she comes right back towards the ball, she would either bite me or the ball (whichever's closer)

how do i deal with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

are you sure its a girl?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Rodentologist

Spay her. (Or if she turns out to be a male, as Kendalle suggests, neuter him).

Your bunny is being run by hormones. They often don't "grow out of it" either.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Adolescent Pup

I was not able to have my male bunny neutered because I had waited too long, and then he had a bunch of health issues that made it unsafe to go through surgery. So now I've got to deal with his hormonal behaviour a lot, but he's not all that aggressive and doesn't bite or anything, the spraying is the worst of it.

If your bunny is a girl, I would suggest getting her spayed as soon as she's ready, not just because of this behaviour, but I've read that reproductive cancer is very common in female rabbits.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure she's a girl as i did check with the vet but i haven't spayed her yet so maybe that is the cause. Although i will this weekend.

my other concern is she may be jealous of the new little bunny boy. We just got him. he's only 2 months old and ever since she sees him about in my apartment she tends to show a rebellious side.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Rodentologist

It's probably less jealously and more the fact that she is extremely hormonal and territorial and there is another rabbit she doesn't know in her territory. Imagine how you'd react if your mother one day just put some random stranger in your bedroom with you.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

How do i get the 2 bunnies closer?

I mean i don't want to force my big bunny to be friends with the baby bunny but i'd like for them to get along somehow or at least when they're lose in my apartment.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Rodentologist

First, you need to make sure that both are spayed or neutered (depending on sex) and then wait a month for the hormones to die down. Trying to introduce two hormonal bunnies is a recipe for disaster!

Once they've both been "fixed", here's a guide for how to introduce bunnies:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

Tags
behavior, bunny