Shadow's Clicker Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Shadow's Clicker Training

Ok so things are starting off slowly. She was really stressed about having Mandie here and so she wasn't very co-operative. But it's been a week since Mandie found her forever home and things are progressing slowly. I have three clickers (yah I'm obsessed) and I have to remember to use the orange one cause Biscuit associates the other two with her and has even stopped eating her dinner to perform tricks for me (little darling!). I was originally going to use brocolli for her but she wouldn't have a bar of that so I went and bought her some mutra-puffs, a rabbit treat.
The problem I'm having at the moment is that she won't take them out of my hand, I have to put them in her bowl for her. I'm still trying to get her to recognise that the click means that food is coming. Last night I tried her out of her cage and I clicked and she pricked her ears up and turned around but she wouldn't take the food out of her cage (she was stressing it was the end of her play time, which it was!) so I'm going to do another week of clicking and giving her treats in an empty bowl.

Molly has caught on what it means though cause she got sooooo cranky with me last night when the clicker started and so I have started with her also....she was thumping continously while I was doing it and wouldn't stop until she got some treats!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

LOL. I'm glad you have made some progress Carmen. Sonora is obsessed with yogurt chips (bunny treat) and she will stop whatever she is doing if I even go near the bag! So the yogurt chip bag is kind of like a clicker. Have you tried yogurt chips/drops with Shadow? Most bunnies love them. Rusty isn't thrilled with them, but Mo and Sonora went nuts for them. Sonora practically takes my hand with the chip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My bunnies like raviolos and I trained them to sit up with those treats.

I read somewhere that yogurt drops were bad for bunnies, so I stopped giving mine any. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
My bunnies like raviolos and I trained them to sit up with those treats.

I read somewhere that yogurt drops were bad for bunnies, so I stopped giving mine any. Is that true?
They probably aren't that great for them. She usually only gets one a day (and I break them in half). They are sugary so they are considered junkfood. Any of those treats are pretty much bunny junkfood. She loves them so much so unless she starts gaining weight, I'll keep giving her 1/2-1 chip a day to get her to "go home" (back in her pen).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Does that mean I can bue them again? Yay! My bunnies will be sooo happy! Of course I limit treats.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Does that mean I can bue them again? Yay! My bunnies will be sooo happy! Of course I limit treats.
Its up to you. Some people might think they are unhealthy, but Sonora seems fine. I think one a day is ok.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Part of the Pack

yogurt chips/drops are EXTREMELY high in sugar...that's probably one of the reason that your bun is overweight (beside the Kaytee pellets you feed him). Those shouldnt even be given as a treat... 1 per day is definetly too much. And if your bun is overweight, that means that he is not ok. For his health, he will soon or later have kidney problems or something else related to the high sugar level food he is having. A lot of the times buns seem ok even if they are not and often when they show signs of being sick, means that it's too late. There must be a healthy thing that your bun likes? Mines I use Romain lettuce for when its time to go back to his playpen. For him it's a treat.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Steph no I haven't tried the yoghurt chips with Shadow, only cause to get her used to the clicker and to train her I need to give her a few treats at a time, so I need something not as sugary as yoghurt chips!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Part of the Pack

I have a question, what is a Clicker Training? How does it work? My bun has been peeing everywhere but in his litter box and I would like that to stop. It that safe for bun? This might sound like a stupid question but I never heard of that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
yogurt chips/drops are EXTREMELY high in sugar...that's probably one of the reason that your bun is overweight (beside the Kaytee pellets you feed him). Those shouldnt even be given as a treat... 1 per day is definetly too much. And if your bun is overweight, that means that he is not ok. For his health, he will soon or later have kidney problems or something else related to the high sugar level food he is having. A lot of the times buns seem ok even if they are not and often when they show signs of being sick, means that it's too late. There must be a healthy thing that your bun likes? Mines I use Romain lettuce for when its time to go back to his playpen. For him it's a treat.
Neither of my buns are overweight. I said that Rusty has gained some weight since I got him, but he is not yet overweight. He was very skinny and boney when I got him, and he looks much better now. I'm switching to timothy pellets because I don't want him to eventually become overweight. Another thing, he isn't the one who I give yogurt chips too. I give them to Sonora, and she isn't overweight at all. Like I said, I only give 1/2 chip per day and only for training purposes. The yogurt chips were actually recommended to me by my rabbit vet for training purposes. She said 1 a day is fine. If I notice that she's gaining weight, I'll cut back on them or stop feeding them completely. My bunnies have diets that are very low in sugar. I hardly ever give them fruit so I feel a treat once a day is fine for them.

Everyone has to do what works for them and their particular bun. I've learned from having rabbits for two years that you can't do every single thing "by the book." For example, I read that carrots were really bad. Carmen gives them to her buns all the time and they are fine. As long as my buns are healthy and not overweight, I'll keep doing what I think works.

Thanks for your concern though.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 10-09-2004 at 03:10 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Carmen good luck with the clicker training! I can't wait to hear how it progresses!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Part of the Pack

As I said, it will eventually affect the bun's health at one point. When signs starts to show, that's when it's too late to do something about it. Carrots are high in sugar and for so, has to be consider as a treat. (1 inch slice per day is enough). A treat DOES NOT mean it has to contain sugar. My bun's treat is his fav thing which is a healthy veggie. Bun's digestive system are not made like ours. At this link: http://www.carrotcafe.com/n/carbohyd.html , you can read something about sugars. Here they have a good article on veggies: http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Sandra, I appreciate the concern. Lets not get too off-topic in Carmen's clicker training thread though.

Tags
clicker training, litter box