Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

"She" is a He!!!

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Sassy 
#1 ·
Does anyone remember the 2 "female" rabbits I had that needed a home? Well today one of them all of the sudden has testicles!!! I've had 'em for over a year, and both were full grown when I got them. Shouldn't it have been obvious before now, cuz now it's REALLY obvious...lol. So now I have two rabbits that I (obviously)don't know much about, with the possibility of babies...AAARRRGGG! With all that said, I have a couple of questions...What are some signs that the real female may be pregnant/how soon should I be able to tell If she is, How long is the rabbit gestation period, and is there anything extra I need to give her if she is pregnant??? I just thought I'd share the (kinda) funny story with you guys, and get some advice while I'm at it. Thanks

(anyone want a bunny?)

#2 · (Edited)
This happen to me the vet keep on telling me that my rabbit was male. First thing you need to do is remove the female. After 14 day you should be able to tell you need to do this. First stand the doe on a firm surface,where she cannot slip. Feel very carefully and gently under the body just in front of the pelvis, with your fingers and thumb on either side of the abdomen. If she is pregnant you should be able to detect a number of marble sized swellings in the uterus.

After 24 daay the mammary glands will appear swollen, handling should be kept to a minimum.As the birth approaches she will start to pull fur from her underside to make a nest. Pregnancy lasts for 31 days but can be anytime between 29 to 34 days. You should get her a nesting box if she is pregnant. She will also start eating more food.

Good look if she is baby bunnys are so cute i hope this is some help.

#4 ·
No babies! I haven't really been positive that she wasn't preggers b/c she wasn't real keen on the groping part (geez I felt like a pervert!), but I kept feeling now an again as well as she would let me, and no bumps yet :clap: .
She is doing so much better now that she is living on her own, I finally found a home for the male rabbit so she eats and drinks and sleeps to her hearts content, she's gained weight and her fur is much prettier now...I didn't realize how much the male was stressing her out (they really did seem to get along most of the time, eating sleeping and grooming with each other). So, a happy step forward, now we just need a happy ending...a permanent home!
Whoops, sorry I babbled so long, I'm just really happy about how well she's doing (and the no babies part!!!). Thanks for asking!

#11 ·
if she starts to pull fur out ...then you know you have a real problem ...she is then making a nest rabbits only have a gestation of 30 days roughly give or take ... so start counting on the calendar...lol back to when you found out he was a he.

#12 ·
Hey Sassy, here's my bunny tale (oh I crack myself up :lol: ). We have a better camera now, so I'll try to remember to get a better pic of her. I've kinda given up finding a new home for her, I've had her for about 2 1/2 years now and haven't been able to find an acceptable one yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.