Shedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Shedding

Can anyone give me some information on bunny shedding? I realize summer is coming and Jellybean is shedding his winter coat, but i swear, he leaves enough hair around for me to have a rabbit fur jacket everyday!!! haha Who knew such a little bun could have SO MUCH HAIR?

Do they only shed two times a year, or more then that? Thanks guys!

I forgot to add that he really doesnt like me to brush him and I know that would help with shedding. As soon as he sees the brush coming he jumps in the air and does a 360 degree turn to face me, haha. Hes like "you arent coming near me with that!"

Last edited by Cheetara03; 04-23-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

You need to get him to brush him. If you don't while he is shedding he will digest a heap of fur and risk getting a fur ball. Even if you can only do him for two minutes at a time. He'll get better at it. My bunnies hate to be brushed if I'm holding him...if I sit them on the washing machine they sit there and let me do it. Try and do it when he is normally sleeping, they aren't as fiesty then.
And my rabbits shed twice a year (and I'm grateful that's all it is) and when they do it's a nightmare, fur everywhere!
Good luck!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a rex rabbit and if I brush him when he is shedding, he will get bald spots. Some web sites say to give rabbits that hair ball remedy you can buy in the store for cats so they won't have fur ball problems. I mix 4 parts corn oil with 1 part flax seed oil and put it on my rabbit's vedgies. I give my 7lb rabbit 3.5ml per day. It is something my vet came up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If he doesn't like being brushed have you tried using a cat comb, mine used to hate the brush but didn't mind the comb at all and he used to love it

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 03:19 PM

Try getting your hand slightly damp, and then petting him. That will remove a lot of the loose hair. If you do this regularly, you may not have to brush him.

However, moonchild raises a good point, not all rabbits should be brushed, as it can have adverse affects on the fur. Any kind of rex (standard or mini) should not be brushed, unless you don't care about the fur.

I'm not sure about the cat hairball forumla, but I know that fresh pineapple juice or papaya tablets are very safe and will help destroy hair blockages. And lots of hay will have similar affects (though if you're really worried, papaya tablets or pineapple juice are the way to go).

Again, how often they shed is totally dependent upon the breed and hair length, etc. I find that our Mini Rex barely shed once a year. However, rabbits with longer fur will most likely shed a little more often than that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM

something I do to loosen up the fur is give them black oil sunflower seeds. It keeps their coat really shiny and nice, and the hair comes out better when you brush or pet them. just be carefull not to give them too much, my aunt did that for Izzy before i adopted her, and she got kinda... well... fat. so just be carefull and good luck!

Tags
flax seed oil, mini rex, sunflower seeds