Shedding help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Shedding help

Yesterday was the first time we took Oliver to the vet since we get him in February. While he was getting his check up we told the vet that he was shedding a lot and if there was anything we could do to minimize it since we don want him to get hair balls and have to get surgery to get rid of them. He suggested LoShed Spray. Has anyone used this? What are your opinions. Before I buy it and try it out, i want to know what everyone thinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM
is a little "special"

Your rabbit is probably moulting. Its that time of the year again for my buns at least!
As long as you regularly brush and "pluck" Oliver, he should be just fine. Dried papya also helps prevent hairballs, and they LOVE it too!
Ive never heard of LoShed Spray. But my opinion is that it is natural for bunnies to molt 2 times a year, and I dont think it would be a good thing if you stopped them from molting, or slowed it down. But if your rabbit is just shedding alot and not molting, I dont think it could hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have seen those products for other animals but I didn't know they had one for buns. I just brush my buns and pluck them. Penelope is going through a terrible molt right now. I used the furminator on her. You must be gentle when brushing them as their skin is thin. Also, I actually gave Penelope a bald spot from the furminator. Oh and two bald spots from plucking. Penelope is not too happy with me right now. I agree with Jess that papaya is good for shedding as well as pineapple. At least that is what I have read. Buns usually LOVE both. I have purchased papaya tabs - the new ones by oxbow my buns don't like as much as the ones they used to sell. I will also get them fresh pineapple and cut it up. Don't give too much at a time - too much sugar can upset their tummies.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Betta Bomb

Acacia is molting too. I have cat hairball stick and it's malt flavor. Or it WAS since it's gone now but it just cleans the intestines or prevents ingested hair from staying there. I also seen a product which is EXACTLY the same as the cat stuff but labelled for bunnies and it's like 5 dollars more!! O.o papaya and pineapple arent favorites here, apples are the delicacy.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Peaches is molting pretty heavily. I can gently pull large tuffs of fur out of her. After I get the large tufts out, I like using a Zoom Groom, a rubber brush made for cats that can be found at most pet stores. It also gives her a good massage.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

I don't like giving my rabbits any kinds of chemicals or medications unless it's absolutly necessary. I've never heard of the product that you mentioned, but usually a good brushing and plenty of hay is enough to keep the amount of injested fur down the the GI tract working smoothly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

the problem is that he wont let himself get brushed. he sees the brush and runs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
is a little "special"

Haha, you all should see poor Smudge right now- He looks aweful, poor thing! He hasnt got bald spots yet, but he has a few big patched of super short fur, and then the rest of him is still pretty floofy. His face is the wost LOL, and his chunky face fur makes him look really ticked off for some reason.

Have you tried plucking him? If I hold Smudge, **** deal with plucking a little better than the wire brush, and it gets a ton of loose fur out. He acually loooooves his soft brush, but it doesnt get the fur out. You could try one of those de-shedding combs too.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

You can also try running your damp hands or a damp towel over him. Works to get a lot of the loose hair out without using a brush.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Betta Bomb

Ahh, yes! Zoom grooms are fantastic although it sucks holding a bunny up next to the face and grooming! My sinuses, eyes and all gets so full of the finest and hardest to reach furs!
I also found that dampening a towel and smoothing Kaysh's fur and then going over it with my hand works-in the summer I do all this outside ^-^
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all your input. im going to try the damp towel move first. then ill try everything else
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 PM
can't think of one, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
it sucks holding a bunny up next to the face and grooming! My sinuses, eyes and all gets so full of the finest and hardest to reach furs!
^-^
Yes, there is nothing worse than bunny fuzzies in contact lenses. My little guy loves to nuggle just under my chin. He's molting too, I long for my little round soft bunny. But now I have a motheaten look bunny. LOL

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Betta Bomb

Acacia's molt now is resemblimg a moth-eaten look. Probably the "cool" trend nowadays with those young ones *rolls eyes*
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 PM
is a little "special"

Well, Smudge seems to be keeping in style then! His shoulders are short furred, and the rest of him is fluffy and chunky! Especially his butt... He tries to eat me if I butt-pluck him.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

oliver doesnt mind plucking but only if hes getting his head heavily petted.

Tags
loshed, rabbit, shedding