Shelter rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Shelter rabbits

I have been noticing that the shelters seem to be getting more and populated rabbits. I was wondering if anyone has been doing a study on why there has been such an increase in the past several years. I would guess that if thing keep going as they have been, in a few years the problem of shelter rabbits will become as big as the problem of the over abundance of shelter cats. Does anyone have any insights on this, because I sure don't!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Part of the Pack

I have noticed this too. A year ago there may have been 5 bunnies for adoption at any given time....now it is 20. I was glad to see the pet stores around here at Easter had no bunnies for sale. Most of the rabbits at the shelter are 4 - 5 months old. Spaying and neutering is a must. I have noticed at one point a Calgary shelter had ALL there bunnies neutered and spayed...how great that would be.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are two shelters in my area. At one shelter, rabbits are $75 and they give a $50 refund if you have the rabbit spayed/neutered. At the other shelter, all of the rabbits are spayed and neutered and cost $40. Very few of the rabbits at the second shelter are over 2 year old. My guess is it is because it is risky to spay/neuter an older rabbit, and so they might not put those up for adoption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Rodentologist

Rabbits have been the third most dumped animal after cats for many years now. People buy them thinking they're cute and cuddly, and them dump them with their precious hits puberty and starts humping everything and aggressively defending their cage.

Tags
pet store, pet stores