Shiny Poops - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Shiny Poops

So I've been introducing Nugget to veggies for 3 weeks (just 3 veggies). I started with a little parsley and worked up over a week and saw no changes in his poops. Towards the end of that I started with a little leaf of romaine and worked up for another week and his poops started to a look a little more dark but were still firm and fibrous. I've started him on broccoli (just a tiny tree and leaf) for a few days and his poops are coming out looking polished! They are still dry, hard, and plentiful, but they seriously look like they're made from plastic they're so shiny. Any thoughts? His behavior is totally normal and he loves all the veggies. He's up to about 1/2-3/4 cup each of parsley and leaves and one little tree of broccoli per day. He also gets free-fed alfalfa hay and pellets and eats some of his timothy hay basket every day. So does anyone else get shiny bunny poops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh, and they're not sticky or wet at all. They're a little less crumbly than they used to be (which is nice because that means less poo-crumbs to clean up when he eats them LOL).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 PM
is a little "special"

LOL! Thats never happened with any of the buns Ive had
Broccoli can make them gassy, so you might wanna lay off on that a little. Parsley, cilantro, collard, mustard, and turnip greens, romaine lettuce, celery leaves and stalk, carrot, apple, strawberry, and raspberries are all some that Smudge likes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yea, I'm trying to find something crunchy because I've heard the suggestion to feed two leafy things and one crunchy thing. He looooooooves broccoli. But I can switch him to mustard greens too, they sell huge bags at Kroger. He also loves sugar snap peas but they're pretty high in carbohydrates and protein so I don't want to give him too many.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Betta Bomb

Hmm, decrease his veggies for a few nights? See what happens and tru something else. Acacia gets very little carrot and very little fruit but lots of spinach and romaine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Rodentologist

Mustard/collard/turnip greens are REALLY high in calcium, like 2-3 times higher in calcium than kale. I don't really feed them except as a very rare treat.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, I dont feed them every day either so dont worry If I have some from Dudley that are going bad faster than I planed, Ill give the other animals a couple leaves of it, but thats it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I switched the broccoli out for bok choy, which he loves! Now he gets romaine and parsley for the most part and just a bit of bok choy until he adjusts to it. No more shiny poops. I've also had to decrease his pellets and started making the switch to timothy hay because he got some urine sludge once last week. The vet said I can make the change since his diet was fully alfalfa based for almost 4 months.

Tags
rabbit poop